Making Almond Meal

I have a pretty large quantity of almonds that may be past their prime for munching so I am wondering if I can make almond meal. Questions ... should I roast them before grinding in the food processor? How long can I keep it in the fridge? Thanks!

asked by pianogirl over 1 year ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

You generally don't need to roast them, no, but you may want to blanch them. And be careful not to grind too much, or you'll have almond butter! It should be fine for a few months in your fridge, but you can freeze to extend this even longer.

Here's a video that Merrill did last year on making almond meal and almond butter that may be of some help:
http://www.food52.com/blog...

Flower-bee

If you decide to roast them, make sure you let them cool completely before grinding. Also, if they are already past their prime, keep in mind that when ground, they oxidise even quicker, so definately refrigerate afterwards.