🔎

• 9

• 12963

• See other questions tagged:
    • sauces

How do I fix a tomato gravy that is too tangy?

My tomato sauce is too tangy. I have add wine and sugar. What else can I do?

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Just a pinch..a pinch of baking soda will neutralized overly acidic tomato sauces. Taste and repeat..it can from tangy to bland very quickly with too much.

Maedl added over 1 year ago

A spoonful of sugar works well. Add it after all the ingredients are in the sauce and it has cooked a bit. If you add just a small amount, it doesn't make it sweet, but removes the bite.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

I would add more tomatoes and keep tasting until you find it it less tangy.

Scan0004
susan g added over 1 year ago

Cinnamon can help too, not much more than a good pinch.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago

If you're out of tomatoes sauté some onion until really really soft and add that.

The whole concept of "tomato gravy" is an Italian-American thing. It's not really Italian but if you are from New Jersey or Long Island, well.. Ok.
To do it right you have to load up the onions and chopped carrots at the beginning because it's hard to fix afterward. Adding milk at the beginning helps too---that's the Bolognese model.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

Lots of Italians (I'm one from LI), that would laugh in your face. Your comments always insult while trying to answer a hotline question. Get overself and be helpful, not condenscending. Merry Christmas.

Fine, laugh in my face, I don't care. It's just food history, go ahead and laugh at that too. There is no such thing as "tomato gravy" in Italy. It's completely American and more specifically the mid-Atlantic. And there is nothing wrong with that, nor is it condescending to point it out. In Italy tomato "sauces" tend to be loose. The exception being Bolognese which is tight, with less tomato. And by the way I grew up in Long Island red sauce joints.

Lulusleep
babytiger added over 1 year ago

If adding sugar isn't enough, maybe add in some stock.