FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

How can tell if pumpkin pie is done cooking?

asked by ivysmushbowl almost 2 years ago
400584_2795982053875_1473082837_n_(1)

It shouldn't be jiggly anymore, and the top may be brown or speckled.

Susan.streit
carbonarasuz

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

You'll want your filling to appear "set" and firm.

Pumpkin pie is one of those odd participants in the custard heading. The classic definition of a custard is "that which is set by the coagulation of egg protein." Most custards are baked in a water bath (discussion for another day), with the exception of pumpkin pie. The crust takes the place of the water bath. The doneness test for ANY custard, including a pumpkin pie, is when you bump the edge of the container (pie plate, ramekin, etc) and the contents "jiggle like jello but don't wiggle like a wave." A cracked custard is an overbaked custard 100% of the time. The moral of the story is not to second guess yourself. If you think it looks done, it likely is. If you give it 5 more minutes and the surface cracks in the oven, you were wrong. On the other hand, whipped cream was invented for a reason!

I still go by the old simple rule of inserting a toothpick so that it comes out clean...maybe I like my pie firmer than others, but this technique works great for me.