Anyone know why my black-eyed peas taste like petroleum?

Every year I make Hoppin John for New Years. I buy the same peas at the same place--same brand, same freshness, etc. This year they have a horrible smell--a little petroleum like and a little metallic. And they taste bad. They didn't have any odor or other give away signs of having gone bad. I'm scratching my head over this.

asked by lorinarlock over 1 year ago

Are they fresh peas, dried, or frozen.
Sometimes if you soak dried beans too long they have a yeasty smell. What other additions did you add? Late onions this time of year can have a sulfur smell almost metallic.

Img_1879_-_version_2

Thanks, Sam. They were fresh. This year instead of following the directions on the package, I sauteed some ham and vegetables, added the beans and water and brought to a boil. The smell from the pot--which I use for everything and have never had a problem with--was more of a stench, but not a normal food stench. And the beans were tough. It took about two hours before they were finally tender. Weird. I'll write to the company tomorrow.