🔎

Is there any way to thicken runny ganache without adding cocoa butter?

I'm in the middle of making the TKOs (mock oreos) from the new Bouchon Bakery cookbook. The cookies are already baked- I even bought the black cocoa. However, the filling is a white chocolate ganache, but it won't set. Here's the recipe: 125g 35% white chocolate, 15g butter, 125g cream. Melt butter and white chocolate together, add barely simmering cream, whisk smooth, chill 4 hrs. Is there any way to tighten this up without adding cocoa butter (which I don't have)?

Nasturtiums
darksideofthespoon added over 1 year ago

Just add a neutral fat, like canola oil.

Voted the Best Answer!

Oh, sorry, you wanted to thicken your ganache? I would just melt some additional white chocolate and whisk it into your ganache.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

I would add more softened fat like butter or maybe coconut oil, both of which are solid at room temp. This would help to thicken up the ganache without affecting the flavor.

The ratio of white chocolate to cream is way too low. I use a ratio of 3:1, white chocolate and cream. The butter looks fine. I'd suggest warming the existing ganache over a bain marie, and when warm, begin adding more white chocolate to bring it up to a ratio where it will set.

L1020855
CHeeb added over 1 year ago

All of the suggestions above are going in the right direction, and remember the ganache will harden somewhat when it is cooled and off the heat.

Nasturtiums
clementinebakes added over 1 year ago

Thanks, everyone. That was my first inclination. The first time I tried the ganache with Ghirardelli white chocolate chips, but I had no idea they contained no cocoa butter. The next time, I tried it with El Rey white cocoa discs. It was a little thicker the second time around, but still not thick enough to pipe as specified in the recipe. It chilled overnight in the fridge and was still not hard in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Tarragon added over 1 year ago

Ghirardelli white chocolate chips are the worst!!