ISO Chinese cookbook recommendation.

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 2 years ago

I've had this one for decades.

It's was quite the 'bible' for American Chinese cooking back in the day. However it's is rather dated and seems to fill with just simple variations of a dish. And as one reviewer put it..a lot has changed in what we expect from a modern cook book.

Now if you want to go Japaneese as an option I highly recommend
"Japaneese Cooking A Simple Art". Even tho it's 25 years old..the photos, instructions and scope of the book is outstanding, approaching Julia Child Level for a reference for Americans; a "must have" IMHO in any collects.

Try Grace Young's "The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen". I feel Grace's recipes are more consistantly accurate and traditional and she gives lots of wisdom and insight into home-style Chinese cooking.

Couple of good ones we have enjoyed cooking from: China Moon cookbook by Barbara Tropp; Susanna Foo Chinese Cuisine by Susanna Foo.

I love Grace Young's Stir-frying to the Sky's Edge and Kylie Kwong's Simple Chinese Cooking.

If you can find a copy of Irene Kuo's The Key to Chinese Cooking, grab it. The last I looked, it was out of print. In addition to recipes, it has sections on technique. I got mine through Amazon's used book site. It's fun to acquire cookbooks that way; mine has all kinds of emendations by the original owner.