🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I roast chicken before using it for stock to lose some of the fat. Am I also losing collagen?

asked by gotligirl almost 2 years ago
Waffle3

It really depends upon how long and at what temperature but, generally speaking, the loss is marginal. If you want to develop maximum gelatin in your stock (always a good idea), the longer it simmers, the better (I do mine overnight at a sub-simmer).

As a side comment, there are easier but equally effective methods of removing fat but no better method for developing rich, complex flavors than roasting.

L1020855

To get your best collagen boost and least expensive chicken investment, hot roast wings at 375-400 degrees with your stock vegetables.The wings have a high ratio of caramelization due to the heat,and end up imparting great flavor to the broth. Re - cook the roasted wings and veggies in water,barely covering, for 1-2 hours until limp and rendered of all fat and life. Strain and discard the veggies,retain the chicken and broth.I often take the roasted and boiled wings , cool them overnight in the frig, and remove the meat for chicken salad or other mild uses. If you use a lot of good stock flavorings(herbs,poultry seasons,etc. ) on your wings and veggies,the broth will be very gelatinous when cold. Any fat can be hardened and easily removed( not thrown away!!!) for further enjoyment. I roast my wings and vegetables on a lined cookie pan (parchment or foil) for about an hour or very sizzling and brown.