🔎

Is kohlrabi rutabega?

I come from NYC where we serve rutabega as part of Thanksgiving feast.Dont know WHAT kohlrabi is!(See recipes sometimes)

Fsm
trampledbygeese added over 1 year ago

Kohlrabi is not the same as rutabega. Rutabega is a root veg, that grows something like a beet, with the big round root just under the surface and a leafy top.

Kohlrabi is a funny looking plant. It's somewhat related to broccoli. It has a fat round globe shaped stem with leaves coming out of it at strange angles. You really need to see it to understand, it's sort of the ugly duckling of the vegetable garden.

Personally I don't much care for kohlrabi, but I know people who go crazy-excited at the thought of cooking and eating with farm fresh kohlrabi. It tastes a bit mustardy to me, sometimes almost sulphuric. My friends don't seem to notice, or perhaps it's part of the charm.

JoanAmbers added over 1 year ago

Sounds cabbage-y.Not the same at all.
Thank you SO much!

Voted the Best Answer!

My mother used to grow it in her amazing garden. Kohlrabi is a lovely above-the-ground vegetable, and a member of the brassica family, which includes cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. Think of its texture and density as being similar to that of the heart/stems of each. Peel it with a heavy hand, as its skin is fairly thick and tough if not fully removed. When diced, steamed, and mashed with some butter, salt & pepper, and perhaps some cream or chicken/vegetable stock, it is sweet and heavenly. It is also a wonderful addition to soups and stews. Its leaves (stems removed) may be used as you would kale, and are even similar in appearance.