🔔
🔎

Is kohlrabi rutabega?

I come from NYC where we serve rutabega as part of Thanksgiving feast.Dont know WHAT kohlrabi is!(See recipes sometimes)

asked by JoanAmbers almost 2 years ago
Fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Kohlrabi is not the same as rutabega. Rutabega is a root veg, that grows something like a beet, with the big round root just under the surface and a leafy top.

Kohlrabi is a funny looking plant. It's somewhat related to broccoli. It has a fat round globe shaped stem with leaves coming out of it at strange angles. You really need to see it to understand, it's sort of the ugly duckling of the vegetable garden.

Personally I don't much care for kohlrabi, but I know people who go crazy-excited at the thought of cooking and eating with farm fresh kohlrabi. It tastes a bit mustardy to me, sometimes almost sulphuric. My friends don't seem to notice, or perhaps it's part of the charm.

Sounds cabbage-y.Not the same at all.
Thank you SO much!