🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Gator_cake

When the folks at Cook's Illustrated tested food processors, they found the plastic dough blade not very functional. Use the metal.

3-bizcard

I agree I tucked mine away and never use it, always use the steel blade it only takes a few short pulses to get the pie dough to where you want it.

Nothing to do with shortcrust, which I have not tried in the food processor, but I have found that the plastic blade can be great for other types of dough that require lots of mixing - I often use mine to make gougeres. While it might not work for pie dough, don't discount it yet!

Wholefoods_user_icon

I have used both. The steel blade gives me better results.

The best result may come from using the paddle attachment on a KithenAid mixer. Granted, short dough is very forgiving because of its high ratio of buttter; nonetheless, the more it is mixed at higher rates of speed, the softer that butter becomes, resulting in a dough that is not unlike bubble gum. It is going to need to be chilled before rolling/shaping, but the time may be reduced and the texture less compromised by using a mixer rather than a food processor.

Fc_macaroon_830
Joanne Chang

Joanne Chang is the pastry chef/owner of Flour Bakery+Cafe and chef/co-owner of Myers+Chang in Boston.

Agree w Cynthia! We use only paddle in a mixer for our doughs and haven't used a food processor before. Paddle gives you more control of butter we find.