I ordered the Lalvain du Jour French Sourdough starter from King Arthur Flour and it just arrived.

I was intending to use it to begin a starter in my fridge that I would feed and bake from once a week or so. But this product seems designed to be used only to start a sponge that's used up within 7 days and not continually fed. Can I still use it the way I intended? I'm glutenfree, so getting an already-built starter isn't an option. I've created my own starter before, but I was hoping for a different flavor profile this time around. It was expensive, so I don't want to experiment without at least a few more opinions on the matter.

asked by beyondcelery over 1 year ago
Dsc_0028

I would contact King Arthur. They are usually very helpful.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

20130119_221104 King Arthur Flour sent me this blog post in response:
http://www.kingarthurflour...

I'm sure it works wonderfully, because I already did my own experiment with something close to their method and the results are delicious. (attaching a pic of my bread) My starter's on its third day and still bubbling away happily.

Dsc_0028

Excellent! Your bread looks wonderful! Thank you for letting us know how it all worked out.