I want to make a pork roast in a crock pot. What cut of pork should I use??

asked by Ania84 over 1 year ago

Check out meals for you.com and look up guide to meats cuts--pork

Come on Future...Ania came here because he/she thought they would get a good answer....not directions to another website...that's why we come to Food52....smart, thoughtful answers

Broad question; broad answer.

Waffle3

As usual, Pierino has the answer. Perhaps I can add a little background:

Slow cooker = braising = cooking meat low and slow in a moist environment. The process works by converting collagen from connective tissue into gelatin and the melting of fat. So what you're looking for is a fatty cut from a part of the animal that works constantly, e.g. the shoulder, AKA "butt". The conversion process begins around 140F and is most efficient close to boiling so regulate the heat accordingly.

For richer, more complex flavors you also want to invoke the Maillard reaction, the browning of proteins through heat so don't make the common slow-cooker mistake of skipping that step.

Is there an historic reason the shoulder is called the "butt"?

If you keep it on low, I enjoy using pork loin with a nice cap of fat. Also roasts wonderfully in the oven if you have the time. Pork butt or shoulder also roasts nicely, but I prefer boneless as it's just easier to use in a crock pot. Keep the bone-in cuts for roasting in the oven.

If you want a pork roast you can slice, I don't recommend a slow cooker for more than 5 or 6 hours on low. Anything over that and you may find you end up with pulled pork, which is just as delicious, but is not a pork roast.