🔔
🔎

How long can I soak dried beans prior to cooking before doing them harm? Package of dried cranberry beans now soaking for 24 hours. Too lazy

asked by mvangraaf almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

You can probably go another 8 hours but I would drain and change the water

Fsm

That's a good question.

My personal experience is that I try not to soak them more than 24 hours, or if I do, I change the water after 24 hours and put them in the fridge for another day. You know, sometimes real life just gets in the way, I'm sure the beans would understand.

I don't know the specifics about beans, but I've read lots of recipes that involve sprouting the beans first (which is what will happen if they stay moist for more than a day or two). Some recipes even have you soak the beans for 2 days with a pinch of backing soda in the water. But I don't remember what kinds of beans they were.

I don't imagine anything bad would happen to the beans except maybe the water will get stale and stinky, which might impart a bad flavour to the beans. But if it were me, I would give them a rinse, some fresh water and tell them to sit tight until I'm read for them.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I've soaked beans up to 48 hours without harm (at which point, my beans we starting to sprout--unintentional!). Be warned: your beans will cook much faster than you're used to, when they're soaked for extra time. I think my 48 hour batch cooked in 20 minutes at the most.

Dscf2055

I have also had great success with the two day soak--just be sure to change the water once it comes to a boil and the sugars start to foam.