🔔
🔎

David's Kosher Salt vs Diamond Crystal

Can anyone tell me if they are equally salty when measured by volume? I'm making Mrs. Larkin's chewy chocolate chip cookies {and you should too!} and she calls for Diamond Crystal, saying that other brands {like Morton's} might be too salty.

asked by witloof over 1 year ago
Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Hi witloof. I haven't ever used David's kosher salt, but I read on their website that it is flaky, which leads me to guess that it might be less salty than a coarse kosher? I could be totally wrong. I love salt, so if I see it in the store, I'll buy a carton and do some comparisons.

FYI, here's the hotline thread that prompted my adding the line about Diamond Crystal. http://food52.com/hotline...

I recently picked up some Davids, in a pinch-in fact it was much saltier than my Diamond, which is my standard.

Thanks, Mrs. Larkin! I am bringing these to a big dance festival up in Saratoga this weekend. I am traveling up by car with three friends and I hope there will be some left by the time we get there. {One of them has assured me that she plans to demolish most of the tin on the way up.}

Unknown

Diamond crystal has a nice flake. Melts evenly.

Only diamond crystal if you can find it. Always. Morton is pretty horrible (tastes like salt!)

A chef friend regularly talks about salts in her cooking classes. The difference between salts is the sodium content. If you look at that from brand to brand, you'll find wide variance, which will make a big difference when you cook.

Dsc_0028

Ordinary salt for cooking, whether it be table salt or kosher salt, is the same chemical compound: sodium chloride. By weight, salt will therefore have the same sodium content no matter which you are using. The differences you see on salt boxes are because one serving is defined as a quarter of a teaspoon. That is, it is being defined by volume, not weight.

I have two boxes of salt in front of me. Morton's Kosher Salt says one serving contains 480 mg of sodium; Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt says 280 mg for the same size serving, a quarter teaspoon. But Morton's is a granular coarse salt and Diamond Crystal is a flaked salt. Measuring by volume will give you different amounts of each salt. It would be more accurate for a recipe to measure by weight.

Wholefoods_user_icon

There is a great article about salt in the new (March) Cooking Light, on page 41 they compare different types of salt.

Years ago at the French Culinary, one of my Pastry instructors brought us through a range of salt products. Prior to cooking school I used a standard table salt. We tasted, discussed and measured a variety of salts. All of our recipes were "weight" based as most professional recipes are-especially baking recipes, there are no cups or teaspoons, its grams and ounces. It was fascinating to see that a tablespoon of Kosher salt does not weigh the same as one of table salt. He stressed this as a primary example of why weights are more reliable than volume measures.
In his end analysis he provided this advice-use table salt for baking recipes that you find in a baking cookbook, they are developed with the home baker in mind, and the measurements will equate properly to the authors intent. Of course unless otherwise noted in the book. We used Kosher salt, measured by weight, in his kitchen, it should be noted.
His next advice is one that really stuck with me. For your savory cooking choose a salt type and brand, and stick with it. The variation in volume and saltiness between salts inhibits the ability to switch between them. By choosing one brand, for me Diamond Kosher, you will get a "feel" for the salt, and grow accustomed to seasoning with it.
I saw a recent cooking show where the chef stated the same exact thing-he too was an FCI grad, and must have seen the same demonstration/lecture!