🔎

Saved recipes are back but where are the views???

I have always found it helpful to see how many views any of my recipes have received. It's useful and interesting to know what appeals to people, what catches the eye. Is that feature coming back, or is it gone with the wind?

Img_0836-001_(1)

Saved recipes are back, but where are our own recipes we've posted?

Img_0836-001_(1)

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Those should still be accessible via your dashboard. Click on "recipes" vs "saved recipes" and they'll come up in grid form. Mine do at least. Hope this works for you!

Thanks, Em. A heads-up about the coming changes would have been nice ;0)

BTW, I posted 2 questions about this and you're the first one to answer. Thank you! And now I'm back to finishing up watching season 3 of Downton Abbey on PBS.org.

190577_102767543140406_100002214813193_24828_6292603_n
Marie Viljoen added about 1 year ago

I also liked that feature, and miss it - it's a great way to see what appeals and what does not.

EmilyC added about 1 year ago

So glad you posted this ... I also miss the number of views but thought maybe this was my nerdy side who loves metrics coming through. Sounds like I'm in good company! : )

Img_0836-001_(1)

Indeed!! I love metrics. :)

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Are you not seeing them on the recipe search results? I see them here: http://food52.com/recipes... Or are you referring to another place on the site that you would see the view counts?

Img_0836-001_(1)

From what I understand via hotline musings, I think people, myself included, enjoyed seeing the number of views per each of our own recipes. So, if I visited my "home page" by clicking on Em-i-lis and then accessed my recipes (those I've added), the view count for each used to show. Now, I can't find views on any of mine except for those in the current contest. Ugh, slow brain...does that make sense?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Also, we're going to run a blog post detailing the changes but we needed to first test the feature and this takes a few days. For the first day, only half of the people coming to the site were seeing the changes so if we'd announced it, it could have confused those visitors who weren't seeing the new feature. We released it to everyone yesterday and are still making tweaks. Let us know if you have any other feedback or questions.

Img_0836-001_(1)

A, via the link you included, I do see the view counts but only when the recipes are sorted in list form versus grid form. Too, it seems only those recipes i've saved (versus added) show view counts and offer the ability to view in grid or list form. My own recipes are only depicted in grid form and show numbers saved but not viewed. Thx!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Ah, got it, I see what you're talking about. Let me talk to our tech team and get back to you.

Img_0836-001_(1)

Thank you!

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I would like the number of views back, too, please.

Amanda, could you ask the tech team to take a look at the grey box that lists "winner" and "finalist"? They seem a bit mixed up and/or missing on my profile page. Also, wildcard wins do not appear at all.

And I think it would make more sense if "recipes" appeared before "saved recipes" on the profile page.

EmilyC added about 1 year ago

Hi Amanda,

I second mrslarkin's request, and I'd add that it'd be nice to have the same metrics (# of views, comments and saves) displayed on recipes on our profile pages, just as they are in the search results. I'd also prefer that our 'saved' recipes remain private (as they've been in the past), or at least understand the rationale for making them public.

Thank you!

Kukla added about 1 year ago

In addition to all comments, I have a question about the sign “Send me a message “. Yesterday I had a question about one of my recipes and couldn’t answer it via email.

3-bizcard

I will chime in also, I would also love to see views back. I just want to say that I really enjoy the recipe collections, have already started working on organizing my saved recipes. It's wonderful and makes searching for recipes so much easier. It's a great feature.

3-bizcard

I also LOVE that we can save posts to our collection. I know there are still some bugs, there always are when implementing something new but IMHO the changes are fantastic and make the site so user friendly and easy to navigate.

Karl

Karl is Food52's VP of Technology.

Voted the Best Answer!

Hey all - thanks for taking the time to voice your concerns and for the feedback on recipe collections!

In the longer run, we feel the count of saved recipes is a more meaningful metric to show publicly as it signals a deeper appreciation - also recipe views tends to get skewed by the age of the recipe. Now that we've made saving recipes so much easier - making it possible to save them right from the search results and recipe browsing pages - we hope to see the engagement increase. Early signs already point to this.

That said, we'll keep views in mind and won't make any permanent decisions about displaying it on the recipe page just yet - in the meantime, there are still ways to see the recipe view count and we hope the count of saved recipes can serve as an additional signal of how popular each of your recipes are.

Flower-bee
Droplet added about 1 year ago

Just a small question/ suggestion: Is there any chance an "Add a note" feature could be added for recipes that we have saved? Sometimes I'd like to make a note to myself to add something to a certain recipe (a spice, for example), to serve it with another recipe on F52 that I like...

Mrs._larkin_370

Thanks Karl. Personally, I think recipe views are more meaningful. When I make a recipe 3, 4, or 5 times, I'm viewing that recipe each time. When I save a recipe, it's like filing it away. I'm much more prone to use the search box to find a recipe, than going to the saved recipe folder. It's easier than scrolling through pages and pages of saved recipes.

Also, I think saved recipes shouldn't be public.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

I second Droplet's request -- it would be great to be able to save notes to self. Sometimes I tweak the recipe gently (a touch of spice more or less, an extra step, etc.) and would love to be able to save the tweaks...

ATG117 added about 1 year ago

Well, I actually didn't notice the change until now, but I have to say, I like the new layout of saved recipes a lot. I'll also go out on a limb and disagree with the majority here: I think a saved count is more meaningful than a view count. I also don't mind that saved recipes are public, but curious to know whether I'm missing something re the latter.

ATG117 added about 1 year ago

My one pet peeve is the fact that saved recipes still can't be sorted in any intelligible way