🔎

Alice Medrich Blonde Brownies Recipe?

I am a real Alice M fan but I don't have all her books and TONIGHT I was hoping to make her version of blonde brownies(coffee will be added.)I thought they might be in my Bittersweet book of hers, but no. My Silver Palate Coffee Blonde Brownies recipe calls for
1 lb brown sugar
6 ou butter
2 eggs
2 c. flour
2 tsp bak powder
plus nuts etc etcetc.
Would one of you helpful 52ers list Alice M's Blondies recipe for those ingredients? From what I found through Amazon, the Blondies recipe is in her Brownies book and her Gooey,Crunchy.... book.Thank you so much!

Photo_squirrel
Stringio
Dona added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Blondies

Blondies are so often overlooked in favor of their cousin the Brownie. But blondies rock! Without all the chocolate, you really taste the brown sugar and nuts. I might get pelted for saying this, but sometimes you need a break from chocolate (well, not a big break because this blondie has chocolate chips)!

Do you have a copy of Alice Medrich's Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-your-Mouth Cookies? It's very well written, like all her books, and this Blondie recipe is a winner. In the back of the book, she has helpful lists - such as lower fat cookies, dairy-free, cookies that keep at least 2 weeks, and cookie doughs that freeze well. Love that she took the time to make these lists for the reader. I just wish that the publishers used grams as well as ounce measurements. I like "counting" in grams because it is easier to halve recipes. In addition, the book uses decimal measurements (my Salter scale uses fractions) such as 6.125. I love math, but I have a hard time remembering that .125 is 1/8 of an ounce at 4 am in the morning. :)

Super duper easy to make. Melted butter is combined with brown sugar and many basic ingredients - you probably have everything you need in your pantry right now. Don't need a mixer...just a wooden spoon. Can't get easier than that. Make some today and your family and friends will thank you.

Recipe:
Blondies
From Alice Medrich's Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-your-Mouth Cookies, page 174 (find it in your library)

1 cup (4.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup plus 2 T (6.125 ounces) packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp dark rum or bourbon (optional, I did not use it)
2/3 cup walnut pieces (I used Trader Joe's Walnut baking bits)
1/2 cup (3 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a 8 x 8 pan by lining it with parchment or foil.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, and set aside.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar. Use a wooden spoon to beat in the egg and vanilla. Gently stir in the flour mixture followed by half of the walnuts. Spread the batter in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts and the chocolate chips evenly over the top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the nuts look toasted, the top is golden brown, and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan. Cool in the pan on a rack. Lift the ends of the parchment or foil and transfer to a cutting board for cutting.

I hope this works, the text box won't scroll, so I can't check it. I found it on google.

Junechamp

Dona: you're a fine person to take the time to post that recipe! It is now on my agenda for this weekend. My grateful eaters thank you as well, I am sure. :)

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 1 year ago

i'm making this today and adding 2T. espresso powder; will report back!

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 1 year ago

hi june, here's what I used different from the recipe today: 2 1/2 T espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 T. boiling water 1/2 tsp+ 1 pinch kosher salt 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 c. chopped walnuts 1/2 c. 70% dark chocolate in small pieces Everyone has their own taste with sweets, but these are so sweet that I needed to add lots of espresso powder, and a bit more salt, to counter that sweetness. Caveat: these really pack a caffeine punch(as you might imagine, with that amount of espresso powder!) Thanks so much again, you 2 helpful posters!

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

This is one of her blondie recipes from the Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy... book: http://www.foodlibrarian... But perhaps that's not the right one?

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 1 year ago

I want to thank both of you. i know it takes alot of time to input a recipe and a link like that and i really appreciate your generosity! people like you make me feel very lucky to be part of the 52 community.

Furrrrrfect!

Stringio
Dona added about 1 year ago

You're welcome!