🔔
🔎

Baked a flourless chocolate last night for a dinner. Stuck to knife when cutting, so I put warm water, then tried Pam on knife. Any other ideas?

I ran warm water over knife, also tried Pam on knife. It still had cake stuck to it when I slice the cake. I used a chef's knife if that matters.

asked by toddnyc almost 2 years ago
Nasturtiums

Sometimes flourless chocolate cakes are just tricky like that. Try getting the knife really hot, whether by dipping in a cup of hot water and wiping it dry, or by heating with a torch if you have one (or over a stove eye). Do this between every slice, even if you think you don't need to. I typically use a chef's knife, but some of my coworkers have had better success with a serrated knife. It may have only needed a few more moments in the oven.

The best way to cut it is with a hot, wet knife, preferably a flat-bladed serrated one. Run the knife under very hot tap water, give it a shake, make a cut. Repeat as needed.

Open-uri20141010-31964-ysrmyy

Next time try useing a string or dentalfloat

Photo

Dental floss (not the minty kind!) works great for slicing goat cheese, too. I keep one of those little junior sample packs from the dentist (sorry, Dr.!) in my knife drawer so it's always handy.

Open-uri20130531-26380-n0xkpl

thanks for everyone's advice. I ran supper hot water over the knife, and it sort of melted its way through the cake.

Yay! That's the idea!

Coat the pan with butter..and dust with Coco powder next time.

Sam, the pan should always be coated with butter, but dusting with cocoa powder is sort of useless, and with all due respect, it's hard to imagine how it would help slicing in the first place.

Oh no..not needed cynthia..I knew my mistake the moment I posted and just let it ride. Thank you tho. I'd recently made some invidual "Lava Cakes"..and my brain was still in that mode.
Here's the recipe I used..and they turned out great!
It also scales well because it's in gram weights. I just made two, and it didn't need the caramel filling--tho I did stuff a ROLO candy in one. http://sweetdelect.wordpress...

@cynthia
My Bad..I wackey parsed the question in my head into about using a knife to remove the cake from the pan..not slicing it. DOH.

Sam, I owe you an apology. I did not mean to bite your head off, but I did and I'm sorry. I was in a seriously bad mood at the moment, dealing with posting issues in the latest contest. I should have know better than to open my big mouth when in such a mood. I am very sorry.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Sounds like the solution might lie not in the knife but perhaps in the cake itself. Whenever I have a problem like that, I simply put the cake into the freezer until it's nice and firm, but not frozen. Chocolate is always much better behaved, in my experience, when it's been chilled a bit. ;o)

Open-uri20130531-26380-n0xkpl

Thanks for all your advice. The cake was popped into the freezer for ten minutes, and when it came out, I ran the knife blade under hot water. Cut like "buttah." Treating it this way did the job. Thanks again!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

So glad to hear that. Thank you for letting us know. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only