sourdough hot cross buns?

I would like to make some hot cross buns, but I can't be bothered to go out to the shop and buy yeast. I have a nice active sourdough starter at home. Any ideas how I can make some decent hot cross buns with sourdough instead of commercial yeast?

Got a good recipe?

Also, any good ideas on how to candy peal with honey instead of sugar?

asked by trampledbygeese over 1 year ago

I would suggest adapting your favorite SD bread recipe to the buns, rather than the other way around. First, use AP flour rather than bread flour; use warm milk in place of water, add some butter and a couple of eggs (you may need some more flour if the dough is too sticky), some sugar; and finally, spice it up with some allspice and nutmeg, and add some soaked and drained currants. How does that sound?

036

That sounds like a good thing for you to try in MY kitchen Cynthia! :-) I have a starter ...

Tell me when!

036

Jc_profilepic

I found this on the freshloaf wesite: "substitute 140g of starter for a packet of yeast and subtract 70g from both the water and flour components of the recipe" - this is based on a 100% hydration starter.