Butter differences

As I'm waiting for my butter to come to room temp (for EmilyC's Almond Thumbprint Cookies), I'm wondering: What are the real differences among all the butters I'm now seeing at my local coop? Cultured... Pasteurized... European style... And there were a few others that I can't even remember. I get the diff between salted and undated, but what's up with all these other designations? And should I be using different ones for different kinds of cooking and baking and eating?
Thanks!

asked by TobiT about 2 years ago
0e5c2b73-3f18-46e4-95c9-cbc8af359f65.sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

There's some help for you here: http://www.saveur.com/article...

European butters tend to have more butterfat than American butters (81% v. 85%), so there is less water in the European types.

153e100a-284f-4c64-a3cc-72ac1de69d2d.zester_003

I agree with Diana B on the butterfat. Salted or unsalted is up to you. Unsalted, you have more control over the flavor of the dish. Tip; restaurants use tons of butter and buckets of salt. Which is why their sauces taste better. I always use pateurized milk products. But if you are cooking down the butter that matters less as you are applying heat (which is what pasteurization means).