🔎

• 5

• 451

A question about a recipe: Corned Beef & Sauerkraut Quiche

I have a question about the recipe "Corned Beef & Sauerkraut Quiche" from lapadia. What does it mean to blind bake?

Copy_of_corned-beef-kraut-quiche-1
Image

Here's a link with instructions for you:
http://blog.williams-sonoma...

Junechamp

TO bake blind is to bake the pie/tart shell before filling it.

Yes, and you will need some pie weights or dried beans for this part.

Sam1148 added about 1 year ago

You don't need pie weights. I have a jar of pennies I use for 'pie weights'. And put the crust lined with foil and fill it up with pennies. Sure, you can get pie weights...or use beans...but pennies are much cheaper and reusable.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

And here's a little tip for you, Diane M . . . . when you blind bake, you are baking the entire crust, including the upper edges. It's always a good idea to check on your quiche/pie once you've filled it and it's been in the oven for a half hour or so because the upper edge of the blind-baked crust may start to get brown long before the quiche is fully cooked. So you may need to cut a ring of aluminum foil and drape it over the top of the crust to protect it from getting too dark during the last part of the cooking time. To make a ring, take a square piece of foil large enough to cover the entire top of the pie, with some left over. Fold it into quarters. Assuming you're right handed, hold the center point of that folded foil in between your left thumb and index finger. Cut a quarter circle out, starting on the bottom edge about three inches in from the lower right corner and working your way up and round to about three inches below the upper left corner, on the left edge. Open it up and you should have a big circle cut out. Drape what's left over the outside edge of the quiche, if necessary, to prevent it from burning. ;o)