Can homemade nutella keep if I sterilize bottles i.e. the canning method?

If I make a large batch of the Leite's Culineria recipe (without cream- http://leitesculinaria...), can I use the canning sterilization method to have it keep for a couple months? Or am I pushing it?

asked by Meatballs&Milkshakes over 1 year ago
Baci1

My gut instincts is "No" primarily because 1)it's a low acid food 2)there's fat in the recipe (in the choc, nuts, and oil). The fat can go rancid without refrigeration and the oil can insulate botulism spores from the heat. Also, the density of the nutella makes thorough heating difficult.

I suggest freezing it if you want to keep it for a couple of months.

Picture_2

So, as long as it's refrigerated, it will be fine for a few months? I'm assuming this applies to all homemade nut butters?

Baci1

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that refrigeration will prevent the nutella from going rancid. Refrigeration will slow down the rancidity, but not totally stop it. The refrigerator might buy you a few weeks. I would recommend keeping any homemade nut butter in the fridge or freezer. Even if the butters go rancid, you've got to worry about microbials like botulism which are odorless.

Photo-1

Thanks for the help everyone, I think because I'm trying to make enough for a large party gift I'm going to go with another idea. Can't have nutella taking up my whole fridge for two months!

Why not go with short bread? Those things love being aged.