Best way to preserve produce esp if you live in a dorm room?

asked by Kendra Stanton Lee over 1 year ago
Monita_photo

Do you have a fridge? Tomatoes, apples, oranges, pears, root vegetables (like potatoes) don't need refrigeration but should be kept in a cool place. Greens and herbs need a fridge to stay fresh. Greens wrapped in a lightly damp paper towel and in an open plastic bag will keep for a while in the fridge

Stringio

Thanks, I have a room full of college students who are thrilled with this information!

Oranges, Apples, Potatoes and onions can be put in (clean) panty hose and tie a knot in them. Then add another and another knot. Hang them up in a closet--don't keep potatoes and onion near each other.
Then when you need one you snip off the knot. This is how people used to store sweet onions for months before they where available year around.

Here's a citation for the panty hose trick. Because it does sound weird--and will probably get a few laughs.
http://www.seriouseats...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

When I was in the dorm, I used to reserve my bottom dresser drawer for produce such as onions, garlic, and roots. I'd wrap them in spare strips of cloth or reused plastic produce bags to keep them separate. During the winter (in Seattle), it was cold enough to put more fridge-required items out on my window sill. I'd tie them up in a couple layers of plastic bags with a wet paper towel inside for greens. Always secure the bags inside the room. If the bags aren't secure, the crows will fly off with your produce! But otherwise it worked pretty well for me so long as I consumed things within 2-3 days. I love Sam's panty hose idea; I wish I'd known that one!