Why are there dark flecks in my matzo roll batter? Are they dangerous at all?

The dark specks were definitely not there when the dough went into the fridge, and I've never seen this before on matzo balls or rolls except when black pepper has been used (it wasn't here).

Due to a situation, I had to let my passover matzo roll 'dough' sit for about 6 hours in the fridge (rather than the required 1 hour) before baking.

Undoubtedly, the egg whites fell somewhat, and the rolls will come out dense, which isn't optimal but will suit those who are happy to have a bread alternative.

Only ingredients are water, oil, salt, sugar, matzo meal & eggs, the latter separated & with beaten whites folded in.

asked by kwine over 1 year ago

As long as you had the matzo ball mix refrigerated, the six hour rest should not cause a problem. I have bo idea what the flecks might be, other than some herb or other seasoning that somehow found its way into the bowl.

Thanks so much! Don't think anything found its way into the bowl, however.

Maybe you are seeing the browned bits from the matzo.

I didn't see any brown bits before the refrigeration, but they were there after resting in fridge & before baking. Maybe some sort of chemical reaction? At the very least, seems like they are safe to eat.

Do you think it's mold?

Scan0004

It couldn't be possible for mold to form in 6 hours, in the refrigerator, with wholesome ingredients.

Dsc00859_2

there are always dark flecks in my matzoh ball batter. They are there in the matzoh meal. Nothing to worry about. Just more noticeable after the dough has rested.

Farmer's_market

I agree with creamtea - there are always tiny brown flecks in my matzoh balls. Just the browner parts of the ground matzoh (meal.) Maybe they just show up more as they sit in the fridge, absorbing moisture, exposed to air? But I'm intrigued by something else in your question - you mention baking the matzoh balls. I've always made/seen them simmered in water or broth. Wondering if baking them is a common approach? Seems like it would give them a drier/crusty surface, instead of the soft tender one I usually associate with matzoh balls. Maybe you're not serving them with soup?

Dsc00859_2

amysarah, it sounds like kwine is making Passover rolls...

Farmer's_market

Ah, okay, thanks creamtea. I see that she does refer to rolls, but several answers referred to matzoh balls, so I was confused...and have to admit, I've never had matzoh rolls, that I recall. Interesting.