Recommendations for getting odors out of Tupperware?

My GF has a favorite Tupperware container that she kept several onion rolls in. Unfortunately it now reeks of onion after several washings. What have you used to get odors out of plastic containers? Thanks!

asked by Lazarus over 1 year ago

Fill with water with good 1/3 cup of baking soda in it. Let it set a couple of days.

3-bizcard

I also add some lemon juice to the solution. Baking soda works wonders.

Photo_squirrel

I am a 'Bleach Girl myself. use it all the time. fill the container w/ water/bleach at a maybe 5/1 ratio. cover and let set maybe 5? hours. pour bleach into a bowl in case you still need it. rinse the container w water and smell it. if still has onion smell, return bleach water; add a bit more bleach(can't hurt anything really) and smell it after another few hr. yay bleach.

When you store your tupperware don't put the lids on. Store the containers and lids separately so that air can circulate between the containers.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Excellent point, and crucial for fresh-smelling containers. I've started to use Snapware, which is BPA free, and available at Costco and online.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Very COLD soapy water gets stink off of pots, pans, glasses. I think it works on plastic, too.

I just heard another one today. Put in water and a couple of Alka Seltzers and let it sit overnight. The Citric Acid and Sodium bi-carb will absorb the odors and clean stains.