A question about a recipe: Chocolate Bundt Cake

9094917684_a054364247_z

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Bundt Cake" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef. What kind of sugar works best? Can I use turbinado sugar or brown sugar? Is using only 1 cup of sugar going to alter the cake significantly?

asked by Amanda.g.w over 1 year ago
3-bizcard

You can substitute turbinado sugar for refined white sugar the ratio is exactly the same. If you reduce the sugar you can end up with a drier cake, if you want to reduce the sugar Shirley Corriher suggests adding an extra egg yolk, this will add moisture to the cake. Without adding extra moisture it could alter the cake significantly.

One commenter on the recipe noted that she halved the sugar and that the cake came out fine and still super moist. Normally I would agree with Suzanne, but it sounds like this cake is just so moist anyway that it might be okay to decrease it here.

3-bizcard

It does look like a very moist cake and if you use brown or turbinado sugar there will be a little extra moisture from the molasses. Would love to hear how it turns out with reduced sugar.

For the moisture of the cake, I did make the cake last week and accidentally forgot to add half the sugar(I used Japanese brown sugar, btw)required, and the result was VERY moist, I mean much more moist than normal tea cakes. Contrary, the taste was not at all sweet, so I made rich chocolate icing to add. It was good cake.

Thanks for the responses! I baked this a few days back for my mum's birthday using about 1 and 1/4 cup turbinado sugar. It turned out moist even without the extra yolk. Delicious - and would have even worked with 1 cup sugar I think.