🔎

Chilean sea bass recipe ideas?

going to try making some tomorrow. any suggestions? grill/oven? would like to keep things simple, but healthy.

Dsc_0034
Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

Check out Le Bernardin's Crispy-Skinned Fish on Food52 (genius recipe). So simple and SO good!

Baci1
HalfPint added about 1 year ago

Chilean Seabass is one those wonderful foods that is best when simply cooked. I like it baked in parchment.
-take the steak or fillet (steaks seem to be more readily available than fillets). Remove bones.
- place fish on parchment paper.
-drizzle a little soy sauce, maybe a litte sesame oil, a tsp or so of sambal oelek (optional), top the fish with some thinly sliced shallots or scallions & julienned ginger.
-wrap up fish, into a little packet. you don't need to wrap it tight, just make sure it's secure and none of the juices will leak out.
- place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400 for about 10-15 depending on how think your fish is.

Then serve individual packages with some rice or steamed vegetables.
This is just a blueprint. Experiment and top with other seasons or sauces that you like. I also like a little Thai curry paste, fish sauce, and some bamboo shoots.

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

that sounds fabulous! I make flounder in a parchment paper pockets with fresh herbs, dried grated lemon peel and some Himalayan salt. oh, so excited!! Thank you!

Voted the Best Answer!

I feel obliged to point out that Chilean Sea Bass aka Patagonian Toothfish is one of the worst possible choices in terms of sustainability. Poaching has wreck havoc on the fishery. And hell, it's not even a bass just a fancy marketing name. But don't take my word for it, go to Seafood Watch and look it up.

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

I know about sustainability, that's why I'm only buying one tiny fillet to share with my husband, just to taste! it always looks so appealing...I love sea bass/bronzini (got addicted in Greece), but not the black bass (which has too much of a fishy flavour).

Chris_in_oslo

Oh my! Hate to leap into this and confuse everyone even more, but bass/bronzini/branzini are not the same as or related to Chilean sea bass, and I'm not sure if the fish I think of as black sea bass is the same as you think of as black bass. "Bass" even "sea bass" are terribly general terms, covering a gamut of fresh- and saltwater fishes. My bottom line is that I'd like people to eat more, not less, fish, but questions like this one show me that the industry just makes it hard to make decisions--not just from the point of sustainability, but also safety and taste.

David_full_160
Chefs Resources added about 1 year ago

Great call Chris! I'm not familiar with bronzini/branzini, but you nailed it regarding how vague the phrase "sea bass" is. Grouper, Perch, Toothfish, Croaker, and true Sea Bass are all marketed simply as "sea bass". <a href="http://www.chefs-resources.com/Sea-Bass-Varieties-of-Sea-Bass" target="_blank">http://www.chefs-resources.com/Sea-Bass-Varieties-of-Sea-Bass</a>

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

I know they are not the same, I only use the name which is used in the stores to call this fish. I was saying that bronzini/sea bass (one of the types, perhaps) are very common in Greece and its where I first tried it and liked it , however I don't like all the 'basses', but I I think Black Sea. bass is actually a bass. whether Chilean is not, but how do you want me to call it?

And just so you know, http://www.montereybayaquarium...

Branzino on the other hand is a reasonably safe product of aquaculture both in Europe (mainly France) and North America. "Chilean Seabass" would not be typical of the Greek diet.

David_full_160
Chefs Resources added about 1 year ago

Darla - you should call the fish whatever name is listed on the label when you purchase it. They should be using approved market names which will help know which fish it is. Here is a brief breakdown with the market name on the left: Sea Bass - a generic name which can be many different fish. Chilean Sea Bass - Pantagonian Toothfish or Antarctic Toothfish; not a bass Black Sea Bass - a true sea bass, usually sold as Black Sea Bass or Atlantic Sea Bass Branzino - see pierino's answer above There are others which are called "sea bass" as well, but these are the fish mentioned in this thread. If the store said "chilean sea bass" then that is what you should call it. Hope that helps a little.

David_full_160
Chefs Resources added about 1 year ago

You could do a simple apple lacquered Chilean Sea Bass:
http://www.chefs-resources...
Also, there is some MSC certified sustainable Chilean Sea Bass. Seafood Watch even mentions this. I believe there are 4 fisheries now that are considered sustainable.

Img_0836-001_(1)

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I like this recipe a lot!! http://em-i-lis.com/wordpress...
Love your enthusiasm! :)

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

thank you!

Chris_in_oslo

The fisheries questions ARE complicated, no question about it. (Maybe a possible FOOD52 series?) Anyway, Darla, while your branzino in Greece is not even closely related to Chilean sea bass, and it's hard to know what you're thinking of when you mention a black bass that you don't care for, most everyone loves Chilean sea bass. Just don't get addicted, or look for those Marine Stewardship Council(MSC) certified sustainable fish. Bon appetit!

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

my name is Daria, thank you for all the information about Chilean sea (not) bass. I suppose there was a mistake somewhere, I didn't want to compare any bronzini, sea bass, Black Sea bass to Chilean sea bass by any mean. I've been looking at a fish, labeled as 'Chilean sea bass' and was wondering how good it is. that's pretty much it. I didn't want it due to its name, more the way it looks. thank you again

Img_0836-001_(1)

in related news: http://well.blogs.nytimes...

Chris_in_oslo

Sorry Daria, not Darla! Hope you didn't feel we were ganging up on you, some of us get a little overly obsessive. Some might say a lot overly obsessive! Bottom line--Chilean sea bass is indeed delicious.

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

:) just made some.. oooh... sooo soooo good with grilled salsa and skewers w/champaign mango and hairloumi cheese... oooh my...

David_full_160
Chefs Resources added about 1 year ago

Sounds incredible Daria! (sorry I spelled your name wrong earlier).