🔎

• 3

• 1316

• See other questions tagged:
    • Piadina

Any good recipes for piadina?- both for the bread and filling combos

3-bizcard

Here is a great recipe from MrsLarkin, she makes suggestions for filling http://food52.com/recipes...

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

thanks sdebrango. I grew up making and eating piadina. Great fun teaching my kids what I learned from my mom. Paper-thin slices of prosciutto di Parma is my favorite filling. And a nice salad of bitter greens and onions is amazing. Sauteed cabbage and garlic another favorite. Mozzarella. Nutella. The fillings are endless. For traditional fillings, the key is to keep it simple. Lots of restaurants nowadays are making their piadina way to complicated, to attract the American appetite.

First be sure to use lard for it to be authentic---leaf lard being best. Piadina is flat bread from the Romagna region of Italy. You could almost think of it as a northern Italian tortilla. You would use toppings as opposed to "fillings". They might be as simple as sliced prosciutto or sauteed greens. To cook them properly you will need a piastra or a pizza stone. You can fold them over the topping (like a tortilla) but you wouldn't crimp them like a calzone.