🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Pancake recipe

I have made recently pancakes very simply by using cake flour and baking powder. Are there variations to liven up the pancake a bit?

asked by GIOVANNI50 over 1 year ago
Image

Adding to a recipe can work well too. Chocolate chips, banana, berries, nuts or a combination of them. Can even throw in cocoa powder in the mix and replace your syrup with peanut butter.

You can use all purpose flour for a more substantial texture. Buttermilk can be substituted for milk, but then you need to use baking soda for leavening. Blueberries are great in pancakes--very traditional and seasonal in a few weeks. Apple pancakes are good in the fall. If you can get elderflowers, they make a very special,pancake too. Pancakes provide a fine for improvisation.

Since you are in Alexandria and local, here is an idea: play around with adding ramps and bacon to the batter. Ramps are in the farmers markets now. I would cut them coarsely and saute them in butter or fry them with bits of bacon. Stir this into the pancake batter.

Dsc00859_2

There was a competition for your best pancake, lots of great recipes: http://food52.com/contests...

More thoughts . . . Ditch the cake flour which is processed and leached of nutrition and try some other flours. Buckwheat, oat, and chick pea flour come to mind. Google 'buckwheat pancakes', 'chick pea flour pancakes', etc., and you'll find lots of ideas.

When you riff on a pancake recipe, don't change the proportion of eggs, flour, leavening, and liquid in the recipe, but feel free to add other ingredients for variation.

One of my favorite things to add is 1/4 to 1/3 cup leftover cooked rice to my standard recipe. I got the idea from a WWII cookbook, The Victory Garden Cookbook whose recipes were geared towards frugality. Makes a memorable pancake. I always add 2-3 Tbs of good cornmeal into my batter, and a touch of vanilla.

Junechamp

There are so many flours to choose from, and each one will make a completely different pancake. All of them will be more nutritious than cake flour. Combinations of flours also make for great variety, flavor and nutrition. You can also grind up nuts finely (pecans are really delicious) and add them, as well. You can take any basic pancake recipe and change the type(s) of flour used, but be sure to keep the same proportions of your wet ingredients. With some flours, you may need more liquid, if the flours are more absorbent.

Scan0004

Here's a slightly different take on a pancake which I thought was delicious -- http://www.kitchendaily.... And you can tweak this one too, with the suggestions above. I've also made it using a gluten free flour blend instead of the wheat flours in the recipe. Also, the berries could be left out... and it goes on and on!