🔎

Urgent! How do you cook white asparagus ?

Sam1148 added 12 months ago

Lightly steam it. 1 or 2 mins depending the size.
Grilling or broiling chars it--which tastes good but removes the 'bling' of white asparagus. A light vinaigrette instead of heavy
sauce is probably better to show off the product. Or simple melted butter, salt and lemon juice.
if you want to take a short cut..trim it up. use a pealer to remove any hard bits. Put in a hot pan..add some water and softened butter, cover a min, hit it with salt and lemon, maybe some capers. Go lightly. Just to take the raw edge off.

Maedl added 12 months ago

Be sure to peel the asparagus. The skin is tougher and more bitter than green asparagus. In Germany, where white asparagus is a rite of spring, it is steamed and served with browned butter or hollandaise sauce as a main course. You might order a few thin slices of ham along with the asparagus, but that's it. Personally, I like to peel and cut the asparagus in chunks, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at a high temp until it begins to brown. My mouth is watering just writing about it.