🔎

How to duplicate the soft cut of steak in Thai food?

Hope I can word this question right :)

When we go out for Thai food there is a cut of steak that is soft, not chewy, in thin little strips.

Does anyone know what the trick is ? Is it the cooking method, the cut of steak?
When I buy the kind of steak used in stir fries it tastes good but isn't quite the same.

I appreciate your insight!

Thanks!

Michelle

Darlene Carrigan added 12 months ago

Have you had any luck with flank steak, grilled, and thinly cut against the grain? I usually use either flank or top sirloin for Thai beef salads.

Darlene Carrigan added 12 months ago

Oops...hit send before finishing reply. If you are going for a stir fry, freeze the beef for 30 minutes before slicing. Makes it easier to slice thin. Also, you could also marinate beef in some fish sauce/soy sauce with ginger. My mom (Asian) always believed that soy sauce and ginger tenderized the meat.

Sam1148 added 12 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

There's a stir fry method that's used in Chineese cooking, and sometimes Thai cooking called "Velveting".
Basically, it's encasing the thinly sliced meat in marinaded.
Of egg white and seasonings (in thai that would be lemon grass and galagala (or ginger), ginger). Then after a hour or so, coat with corn starch and either fry or par-boil and put in the stir fry with other items for final tossing and saucing. The coating protects the meat from the heat and keeps it moist.
Look up Velveting meats for more info and techs.

Michelle church added 12 months ago

Thank you both so much! That's my answer! I'm going to be trying this out very soon. Thanks again!

Bigpan
bigpan added 12 months ago

I never knew about 'velveting'. I've always used a good marbled cut of beef, sliced, and fried fast enough to still be m/r pink inside. I'll stick with that but will try velveting with pork for some satay skewers.

I was about to write something about the cornstarch method, too, but I never heard the term "velveting." As I said in a different post, I am of Asian descent so many things we "just did" have terms we've never heard of ha ha. We follow no real specifics order of coating the meat - in fact, sometimes my mother simply sprinkles some soy sauce on the meat and dusts it with cornstarch, and we still get the velvety texture. I suppose that the more familiar a cooking style is, the more liberal one can be with the "pinch of this, pinch of that" method.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added 11 months ago

Hi Sam, I have been velveting chicken and beef to replicate my favorite Chinese dishes with great success. Found so many tutorials and blogs about the technique and I'm in love. So a big thank you to you!

elzzee added 11 months ago

Oftentimes grocery store steaks are portioned in a way that means when you slice it, you're actually slicing with the grain instead of against it. This means chewy meat. Try buying a larger cut of meat and breaking it down yourself. I have never tried it for beef, but when I do chicken sir-frys I marinate the chicken in baking soda for 1 hour before cooking, Rinse off the baking soda before using the meat, It acts as a tenderizer.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added 11 months ago

From what I have cooked and read thus far, you don't rinse off the cornstarch. It acts as a seal to keep the protein soft and not used as a tenderizer.