🔎

If I'm broiling steak kebabs instead of grilling them, should I set the broiler to high or low?

Although I don't have a grill handy, I want to make steak kebabs for dinner. I'm thinking that I can cook them in the broiler -- but I don't know if I should set the broiler to high or low. Thoughts would be very welcome, thanks!

036

I would set to high so that the outside sears quickly without over cooking the inside - same principal as grilling!

Hate to do this to you, but it depends on a number of factors. Some of these factors are: how close to the flame the oven rack is, how thick the meat and other kebab items are, whether you want a seared crust with a rare/pink middle or a more even medium-throughout, etc. What I do sometimes when I'm broiling steak or pork chops is set the broiler on high for one side, then turn them over and set the broiler to low. Sometimes I reverse that process (but I cheat, and use a meat thermometer with a transmitter probe). Good luck! Hope I helped!

ECMotherwell added 11 months ago

Thank you both for the great answers -- this is very helpful!!! I think I'll start with high (I like both sear and medium-rare) and just keep a close eye on it.

Sam1148 added 11 months ago

One thing people forget when broiling thing is oven door.
For electric broilers, broil with the oven door open a bit--and keep a close eye on it.
If you broil with the door closed the element goes off and on..and it's not true broiling.