🔔
🔎

Best way to cook two grass fed ny strip steaks? Have them at room temp but live in condo so can't have a grill, so stovetop or oven?

asked by miketizzle over 1 year ago

Both! Sear them in a red-hot cast iron skillet, after generously seasoning with lots of salt and pepper and rubbing them with olive oil. Once seared, drain off any excess oil, and finish in a 375 degree oven. I would toss a couple of sprigs of rosemary and thyme on top. Take them to 125 degrees on an instant thermometer, then let rest for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.

Salt them at least 45 mins before cooking-the seasoned juices will go back into the meat after 45 mins.
Also, you might want to wrap a plastic bag around the smoke detector with a rubber band when you sear them. Just don't leave the kitchen and don't forget to remove the bag.

I would do something very similar to ChezHenry, but I have a cast-iron Lodge Logic grill pan instead of a skillet, and I rub the olive oil into the meat before seasoning with just kosher salt (no pepper). Like ChezHenry, I preheat the cast iron before putting the steak(s) on, but I also put a cover on it/them (just an ordinary skillet cover over the steaks). I use a meat probe and when the temp reads about 80, I turn the steak(s) over, re-cover them, and take them off the grill when they reach 125, then let them sit 5-10 minutes before serving. I forego the use of herbs when I just want the unadulterated steak experience.

Thanks guys they came out great!

Junechamp

Both. I sear them on top the stove (doesn't have to be cast iron, just a pan that withstands high heat) and finish in the oven. Open your windows and if you have any exhaust fans, turn them on to avoid setting off your smoke detector. (voice of experience...)

Miketizzle: how did you end up cooking them? Since only ChezHenry's answer got an "excellent," should we presume that's what you did? To add to the discussion in general - I remembered something else that a butcher once told me, which was to let the steaks sit at room temp for a while before cooking them (maybe someone else already said this). And others (ChefJune's answer is right above this box) pointed out that the windows should be open and the exhaust fan should be on. I have one more tip for anyone with a respiratory condition, like asthma or COPD or emphysema - make sure you have your medications on hand. I have a "voice of experience," too! My asthma has been set off by searing steaks, or by simply adding hot red pepper flakes to hot oil, or butter overflowing in the broiler or a hot oven.