🔎

• 15

• 619

Mild high carb high fat foods for someone recovering from surgery?

My stepmother just had hip replacement surgery and I'd like to take over a few days worth of meals. She struggles to keep weight on (a problem with which I have no experience) and can only really digest mild, high carb foods. No onions or garlic. She loves potatoes, rice, bread. I'd like to bring her something mild for digestion, easy to reheat, and packed with calories....suggestions?

Maedl added 11 months ago

Perhaps potatoes au gratin--although I use onions and garlic in mine and would think it tasteless without. Perhaps a grilled cheese sandwich, with bacon and tomatoes? When my Mom was very sick, I made creme brulee and she loved that. Tapioca and rice pudding might work well, too--but this all makes me want a hunk of meat.

amysarah added 11 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Macaroni and cheese; gnocchi with a cheese sauce; bread pudding; mashed potatoes with simple roast or poached chicken; noodle pudding made with sour cream/cottage cheese (for protein); milkshakes and yogurt/fruit smoothies; a rich cheesy quiche made with any veg's she likes...I think I gained weight just typing all that.

P1291120
SeaJambon added 11 months ago

Mac & cheese w/out the onions? Lasagne, again only mildly seasoned? Chicken pot pie? Bread pudding? Good luck -- it is so important to keep weight up at the older ages

Gator_cake

What she really needs for healing post-surgery is protein. Her cells need to rebuild, and that process uses protein. Are there any proteins she's able to digest?

Kristen W. added 11 months ago

Pasta has a decent amount of protein for a carb-rich food b/c of the egg that goes into it. That might help on the protein front if meat isn't an option.

Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added 11 months ago

Everything that AmySarah said.

Image
ZombieCupcake added 11 months ago

Peanut Butter Banana oatmeal is one of my favorites for breakfast.

Image

You are the sweetest, most wonderful stepdaughter in the world. lloreen, I had hip replacement surgery in February, and while I'm not usually averse to spices, onions or garlic, I found that i really wanted creamy bland food as well. The anesthesia and the pain killers do a number on your digestion, and you're healing so you really need protein and fiber. (lots of fiber. Lots. Like prune level.) I love this quiche. http://food52.com/recipes.... I usually make it with frozen spinach in place of kale, and I substitute Greek yogurt for the cream cheese. (She needs the probiotics in yogurt also.) I made this and froze it before my surgery, and I munched on it for several days when I came home.

Also ice cream! Milk shakes! Pudding! I hope your stepmother does well and has an easy and fast recovery. If she wants to read about others who have gone through it, tell her to look at the hip replacement forum at www.bonesmart.org. For me, it was a lifesaver.
(P.S> I have no idea how many typos are in here because I can't review it. Sorry!!

Image

I'm serious about needing fiber. When I felt up to baking, I made these: http://food52.com/recipes..., but left off the pumpkin seeds and added chopped up prunes in place of raisins in the batter. They freeze really well.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Rice pudding made with cream and eggs and a combination of brown rice and arborio rice. Add some ground flax seed and raisins for fiber. Top with blueberries. Or toasted coconut. ;o)

lloreen added 11 months ago

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm going to make a few of your suggestions and take them over. She is just back from the hospital and doing well. I didn't know about the fiber issues... Thanks for the tip!

lloreen added 11 months ago

I have to sneak protein in ;) she eats meat but doesn't like it much- just chicken and fish. Hates eggs unless disguised and I detectable - the muffins, rice puddings, and pasta sound like something she'd eat.

Sam1148 added 11 months ago

Sardines are very high in protein and made into a mayo based 'salad' on bread could work.

Image

She needs fiber because the pain meds are really constipating.

Image
ZombieCupcake added 11 months ago

There's always salmon and lentils.