FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

Looking for something really tasty to season chicken

asked by leighsa over 1 year ago
Hilary_sp1

Chermoula spice!

Hilary_sp1

Also, Dukkah

Black_picture_small

Here are two ways I have used...
The following is really good on a whole chicken with skin..after cooking I throw away the skin, but the flavors of the herbs beneath really flavor it nicely.
Bistro Chicken Rub --rub under skin:
3 Tbl fresh tarragon
1 Tbl fresh thyme
1 Tbl fresh sage
2 Tbl butter, melted

magic dust: found this over the internet--101 cookbooks maybe?
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chile powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne (or less to taste)

PLEASE don't throw away the skin. It's delicious.

2007-09-11e-s4

I just did this the other day and it turned out very good. It's a little more rustic and adequately different from the standard lemon or rosemary roast chicken:
Pat the chicken dry. Salt and pepper the cavity and fill it with finely chopped onion. Place 1 small sage leaf and 1 teaspoon of butter under the skin over each thigh and over each breast. Slather the outside with oil of your choice and shake a bunch of Coffee Rub (http://mantestedrecipes... ) on the outside. Roast as normal (350° oven to an internal temperature of 165°).

I like to rub ras el hanout on chicken. I also sometimes grab every herb in the garden - lemon thyme, basil, purple basil, bee balm, rosemary, lavender, parsley, etc. slice a lemon and smash some garlic cloves and totally stuff the bird with them and roast it.

Just discovered ras el hanout. Seriously good stuff!

Junechamp

My "secret ingredient" is Herbes de Provence, either dried or fresh. That's Marjoram, Oregano, Thyme, Tarragon, Savory plus lavender. If you're using a dried blend, be sure to rub it between the heels of your hands to release all of the fragrance (oils) therein. If you're using the fresh, chop all the herbs together very well. I like to toss in a clove or two of fresh garlic with them. (A little garlic never hurt anything...) You can rub it either under the skin, or on top.

Last night I used my mortar and pestle and crushed fresh sage with sea salt and olive oil to make a pesto. Then I loosened the skin of a chicken and slathered the pesto under the skin and some on the outside as well. Roasted it standing up in my outdoor wood burning oven and it came out gloriously crispy, juicy and delicious.

this sounds incredibly weird but it is amazing, use chunky peanut butter and Himalayan pink salt as a rub on the back and thighs, then then sprinkle lemon juice and diced onion on the same area. for the inside, use a half lemon and half a yellow onion,a tiny bit of cayenne and black pepper for flavor.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Dry the chicken well, inside and out. Make a paste with sumac (can be found at Middle Eastern grocers), garlic, and lemon juice. Rub this paste under the skin of the chicken. Salt and pepper the outside of the skin well--use more than you think necessary. Let the chicken sit for at least one day in the fridge. Roast as you normally would. We prefer a high-heat roast (425) for very crispy skin.

Lawry's seasoned salt, lawry's garlic powder (coarse ground with parsley), onion powder, celery salt, cracked pepper, and if you're feeling adventurous, a little extra confetti (dried or fresh parsley). Emphasize the first two seasonings. My go-to.