🔔
🔎

What to do if you don't have lemon extract

asked by Karen Craddock over 1 year ago
Monita_photo

Cook's thesaurus had this advice about lemon extract: Substitutes: lemon zest (1 teaspoon extract = 2 teaspoons zest) OR oil of lemon (One part flavoring oil is roughly equivalent to four parts extract, but this may vary according to the products used. To be safe, begin by substituting 1/8 teaspoon of oil per teaspoon of extract, then add more drops of oil until you're satisfied with the flavor.) OR orange extract OR vanilla extract OR lemon-flavored liqueur (Substitute 1 or 2 tablespoons liqueur for each teaspoon of extract)

What are you making? If you have lemons, the zest would be a perfect substitution. How much extract does your recipe call for? I would probably sub half the amount with zest, and be sure to grate off only the bright yellow surface (the white pith is bitter).

Sometimes I use my homemade limoncello.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I would agree that lemon zest is your best option. Lemon oil is okay, but it has a "flat" flavor--no brightness or zing. I almost always add extra lemon zest to recipes where I want to add a tangy kick. Be liberal with it. It's unlikely you'll use too much.