YEAR-ROUND LOVE. GIVE MOM A GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING. SHOP NOW »

simple, one pot, stove top apple something?

Going camping and I would like to make a dessert for one of the nights (that doesn't involve marshmallows on a stick). Are there any good recipes that don't require too many ingredients that can be made in one pot, on the stove? I'm imagining apple crumble, but I can't see how to cook that on the stove.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 3 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would pack a zip lock bag with some mix of oats, raisins, brown sugar and crumbled nuts (if you like). Pack some aluminum foil. When it is time to have them, core the apples, stuff with the mix and some butter (or margarine which I am sure you are also packing), wrap in tin foil and place around the campfire coals. Turn periodically and you will have a tasty hot apple desert in about 30 to 60 minutes depending on the heat of the fire. Or, you can do on a bbq if the campsite has them.

baked apples! or in your case boiled, core an apple then put about a tbs butter in and around the cavity, sprinkle raisins and or cinnamon sugar around and inside as well. put 1/2c water in the pan with the lid on then simmer/boil for about a half hour depending on how hot you can get that little burner to go!

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

It's a regular old butane stove, so it can get pretty hot (a lot hotter than my home stove). I don't know if there will be a fire at the campsite or not though.

Those recipes sound so delicious I think I'll try one for dinner.

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

Baked apples sounds like a great idea. You could probably also make an apple Brown Betty with ease- few, common ingredients and a tasty result!

Hmmm... cut up the apple, throw in a little water, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond meal (VERY finely ground blanched almonds) and butter. Cook down to perfection and you can serve it over some cinnamon bread.