Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving! I'm in a pre-pickle right now. I am cooking for 2 and decided to go with a 6.6 lb. TURKEY BREAST. The Recipe that I am using is for a whole turkey(12-14 lb) and recommends pouring 1 cup of water or broth into roaster with breast side down, uncovered. However, the directions on the TURKEY BREAST recommends that I cover the breast and whole pan with aluminum foil and at the final 30 minutes of cooking remove the foil. Which directions should I follow cookbook or turkey instructions? Or would it be best if I combine the two and keep the breast on a rack breast side down with the water/broth and cover it until the last half hour? HELP!!!!! Thank you once again!

asked by KitchVega over 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Both of those instructions are designed to ensure that the breast stays moist. I like the water/broth idea because it helps with gravy--we roast turkey on a bed of onions with water and it comes out great. I think either way will be fine. Here's our recipe for gravy:

51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

I would never cover a turkey during roasting (you won't get crispy skin). You need to be able to baste it at regular intervals. Cover it with foil AFTER it comes out of the oven, while it's "resting".

6d4e731f ee08 4102 8e9f 0e18f943d30d  img 0385

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I decided to cook it uncovered with broth in pan. Then cover after while resting.