Stove top potato gratin-ish

I want to make a sort of gratin with some potatoes (or Anna, or scalloped, or something gratin-ish) but I don't have an oven. I remember reading a recipe for something stove top somewhere (maybe the NYT cookbook?) but I can't find it and I'm away from home. Any ideas of how I could achieve this?

asked by LucyS about 1 year ago

I would make something other than a gratin--perhaps rösti or potato pancakes/latkes that you fry on the top of the stove until they develop a lovely crisp exterior.

My idea was something in between - I don't have a grater or anything, it's a very small kitchen.

There are lots of stove top au gratin recipes on the web, but they all look pretty pale compared to the real thing. Perhaps you could fry breadcrumbs in butter and top the potato mixture with them just before serving. Me, I'd go out and buy a grater. They are not very expensive.

If you don't have room to store a box grater, you can get a flat, one-size-hole grater. Or borrow one.

slice up the potatoes and cook them in some milk/cream with
pre shredded cheese, s & p.
Good luck.
irina

pre shredded cheese, s & p.
Good luck.
irina

I'd first cook the potatoes by slicing them thin, coating them in oil and covering the pan until they're tender. I'd then add some cream--not too much, just to coat, gruyere cheese, and top with toasted breadcrumbs

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet