If a recipe calls for 3 1/2 lbs of butternut squash, how much does that come out to when it's diced?

asked by VLF about 1 year ago

It varies with each butternut squash: moisture content, seeds, and skin. Typically, I buy a squash that's heavier than I need and then weigh it after I've peeled, cleaned and diced it. Good luck with your recipe!

VLF

So does that mean that you think it should be 3 1/2 lbs after its diced? I would think if they meant to use a true 3 1/2 lbs it would have said 3 1/2 lbs diced butternut squash. I know it's semantics but soooo confusing. Thanks for your answer

I do think they mean 3 1/2 lbs. after the squash is cleaned and diced. I understand your frustration with the ambiguity of the recipe. My advice is to weigh it after it's been diced. By the way, what are you making?

VLF

I'm making a lasagne. Trying to use frozen diced to save some time

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Does the recipe say "3 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced" or "3 1/2 lbs peeled and diced butternut squash"? If the former, weigh the squash before peeling and dicing. If the latter, you'll want a slightly larger squash (say 4 to 4 1/4 lbs).

VLF

It's the first way. My problem is that I wanted to buy it frozen and already diced to save time. That's why I was trying to figure out how much I would need. Thanks for answering

I absolutely love butternut squash lasagna! In this case I'd advise using 3 1/2 lbs. of your frozen squash. This should work out fine. Enjoy!

VLF

Thank you trena for all of your help

Scan0004

I cooked a butternut squash tonight, so I checked the numbers. What I had was 2 pounds. After peeling (peel and stem weighed 1/4 pound -- no seeds, as I had used the bottom part for something else), it made 5 cups of medium sized dice.
Recipes I looked at seem to indicate weight before preparing. Most uses for squash would not require a precise weight, so if you are close, you should be fine.

VLF

Susan, I am so appreciative of your efforts to help me with my dilemma. Your experiment has given me the confidence to decide how much to use. Thank you.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet