🔔
🔎

If a recipe calls for 3 1/2 lbs of butternut squash, how much does that come out to when it's diced?

asked by VLF over 1 year ago

It varies with each butternut squash: moisture content, seeds, and skin. Typically, I buy a squash that's heavier than I need and then weigh it after I've peeled, cleaned and diced it. Good luck with your recipe!

VLF

So does that mean that you think it should be 3 1/2 lbs after its diced? I would think if they meant to use a true 3 1/2 lbs it would have said 3 1/2 lbs diced butternut squash. I know it's semantics but soooo confusing. Thanks for your answer

I do think they mean 3 1/2 lbs. after the squash is cleaned and diced. I understand your frustration with the ambiguity of the recipe. My advice is to weigh it after it's been diced. By the way, what are you making?

VLF

I'm making a lasagne. Trying to use frozen diced to save some time

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Does the recipe say "3 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced" or "3 1/2 lbs peeled and diced butternut squash"? If the former, weigh the squash before peeling and dicing. If the latter, you'll want a slightly larger squash (say 4 to 4 1/4 lbs).

VLF

It's the first way. My problem is that I wanted to buy it frozen and already diced to save time. That's why I was trying to figure out how much I would need. Thanks for answering

I absolutely love butternut squash lasagna! In this case I'd advise using 3 1/2 lbs. of your frozen squash. This should work out fine. Enjoy!

VLF

Thank you trena for all of your help

Scan0004

I cooked a butternut squash tonight, so I checked the numbers. What I had was 2 pounds. After peeling (peel and stem weighed 1/4 pound -- no seeds, as I had used the bottom part for something else), it made 5 cups of medium sized dice.
Recipes I looked at seem to indicate weight before preparing. Most uses for squash would not require a precise weight, so if you are close, you should be fine.

VLF

Susan, I am so appreciative of your efforts to help me with my dilemma. Your experiment has given me the confidence to decide how much to use. Thank you.