Uses for pickle juice

How do you use up pickle juice? I feel bad throwing away my brine!

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

asked over 1 year ago
Image

I was at a Food52 party (Piglet?) a couple of years ago where they put pickle juice in martinis! (I used to drink pickle juice when I was a kid, but I don't do that anymore!)

Image

oops, i think that was bloody marys, not martinis.

I can't throw it away either. Always good for vinaigrette but of course needs to be adusted for being too sweet or sour, depending on the type of pickles that were in it. Use as part of a brine for pork or pot roast. Add to sweet and sour soup. Use in egg salad or potato salad (reduce the mayonnaise).
When I was a kid, I'd beg my father to save the bottle of juice from those little white Gibson cocktail onions so I could drink it. (I know, it's a bit Sally Draper from Mad Men - although she would just have drunk the Gibson.)

Nog

Pickle juice is a magical ingredient when used in a bloody mary - can't tell you how many bottles of dried out pickles I have had sitting sadly in my fridge after a few delicious pitchers! Also quite good in sourdough bread.

Sadcookie
figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Pickle juice is a wonderful addition to Bloody Mary's. I save mine for Sunday Brunch.

Will

You can also add chopped vegetables back into the brine to re-pickle!
Try pickling hard boiled eggs (Great beer snack, or added to potato salad) or softer vegetables.
I usually use it for spiking my Bloody Marys.
You can add it to your water when you boil potatoes, and it's great in mac n cheese!

Baci1

Use it to brine chicken for a tasty and moist fried chicken. Pickle juice is the rumored secret to Chik-Fil-A's fried chicken.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I couldn't agree with you more about brining chicken! It's delicious.

William, how would you use it in Mac n Cheese? I'm trying to figure out the vinegar subtracting from the desired creamy cheesy goodness. Maybe it's just an acquired taste?

@William, It would be great for pickling eggs but don't put hard-boiled eggs into a jar of leftover pickle juice. Possible bacterial problems. Do it in the typical sanitary canning process. The jars and pickling liquid need to be boiled.

Redsaurkraut

Actually, you can ferment (pickle) eggs this way with no problem at all!

Will

@Pegeen, I've never had an bacterial problems when adding hard boiled eggs into brine. The eggs have been cooled and refrigerated, then the shells are taken off. I often add beets and onions as well, as I like the combination!

As for the Mac N Cheese, I use this recipe from Bon Apetit! (the pickle juice here is the peppadew brine.) I've also made this without peppadews, and just used the pickle juice for tang!

@William... Thanks. I will try to look it up. I read something in a reputable publication about soaking porous eggs in unboiled liquid.

Peppadew mac n cheese... now that sounds good. The link to the recipe didn't come through but I can of course get over to that site and look for it. Thanks!

HalfPint, just had a thought to marinate the chicken for "In Pat's Kitchen's" Alabama chicken skewers in pickle juice before proceeding with the recipe. It could be too much goodness, but will try it.
http://food52.com/recipes...

Will

Sorry, here's the link!
http://www.bonappetit.com...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Excellent in cold beet soup -- Brine from sauerkraut or dill pickles is a key ingredient in Polish chlodnik -- also wonderful for thinning a dressing for cole slaw (or potato salad, as Abbie recommends), or use it in place of vinegar when making mustard. ;o)

110

Pickle juice was the secret ingredient in mom's potato salad.

Mouthwash maybe?
I'm also thinking you could do a version of a "dirty martini"; not that I drink those anymore.

Smokin_tokyo

I also re-pickle, that's a great word Abbie. Use sometimes in dressings and potato salad. I made a bread recipe many years ago and it was quiet good (trying to remember which cookbook it was in... then I'll post the dldink.)

Image

Add some oil and alittle sugar for coleslaw?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Sorry user error on the ipad

Smokin_tokyo

The Pickle Juice or Olive Juice Bread was originally from a ©1973 Recipes for a Small Planet 'meatless cooking' book by Ellen Buchman Ewald. Didn't find a link, sorry.

Cakes

Sweet pickle juice = coleslaw dressing, egg salad with sweet pickles as well, and a vinaigrette for beets.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

For the adventurous out there, if using sweet pickle brine, just adding a couple tablespoons to soda water and enjoy pickle soda! If using non-sweetened brine, add white sugar to taste, then add a few tablespoons to soda water. It is not for everyone, but I like it. Very good for palate cleansing.

Hilary_sp1

A restaurant I love uses pickles and pickle juice to make a creamy pickle soup!

Farmer's_market

I third the potato salad - toss the still hot potatoes in the brine, so they absorb it while they cool down, before adding the mayo, etc. Makes potato salad exponentially more tasty.

08270410avatar_messbrasil

Some kinds of hard candy or glazes ask for white wine vinegar.I use pickle juice just for fun...

Smokin_tokyo

That creamy soup reminds me that my favorite flavor at a little ice cream shop was Pickle Ice Cream. Must be something about cream and pickle sourness.
(I haven't thought about that in years.....)

08270410avatar_messbrasil

I agree with the soup thing...I once had a pickled palm heart soup that was probably the best soup I ever had!

It can also be added to the marinade for a sauerbraten.

My friend puts pickle juice in her Bloody Mary's. It's actually quite good.

I have heard about the pickle juice being used for fried chicken. Some places drain out the pickling spice and freeze the juice as pickle pops.

3-bizcard

I found this recipe today on Kudo's Kitchen blog it sounds really good! http://www.kudoskitchenbyrenee...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

By the way, the juice from Kukla's Shalotta (one of my favorite recipes on FOOD52 in 2013) at http://food52.com/recipes... makes an exceptional vinaigrette. I go 1 to 1 with the olive oil, adding a heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard for each 1/4 cup of oil / vinegar, and a few drops of honey and a tiny splash of soy sauce. And I strip-mine a few of the vinegar-y cranberries from the shalotta to use in the salad on which I use the dressing. So, so good, especially on salads into which I've tossed a small handful of nuts. I highly recommend this! ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I have it on good authority from a Tarheel I know that in North Carolina, pickle juice + vodka is known as "The Breakfast of Champions." This same Tarheel recently returned from London where, he reports, one can get a "Pickleback Shot" made from the brine of a nice quality sweet pickle mixed with a good bourbon. ;o)

Elaine_by_piano_copy

I love re-pickled Brussels sprouts in dill brine. They are best halved and lightly steamed then cooled and packed into the garlicky juice...let sit in the fridge for a few days before consuming.