🔔
🔎

I have a cake recipe that calls for emulsified shortening. Just wondering if there's a substitute for it?

asked by andrea about 2 years ago
2f4926e2-248b-4c22-a6f7-8f2d888b8488.3-bizcard

Without knowing what the recipe is first thing that comes to mind is butter which is also emulsified. I use vegetable or olive oil all the time in cakes but not sure what type of cake this is so don't know if it's an appropriate substitution.

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

Does "emulsified shortening" mean a product like Crisco?

F8c5465c-5952-47d4-9558-8116c099e439.dscn2212

Hi-ratio, or emulsified, shortening can carry greater amounts of sugar and water than conventional shortening, such as Crisco. Sweetex is the most common brand of hi-ratio shortening, but I honestly don't know where you can find it outside a commercial bakery, as it is packed in massive buckets. It's used in commercially-produced cakes and icings (think Costco icing) because it lends moisture and shelf life to the former and stability at room temp to the latter. Also, it's cheap.

A9f88177-5a41-4b63-8669-9e72eb277c1a.waffle3

There are Internet-based baking supply companies that break down 50-pound blocks so they can sell consumer-size quantities. However… Be aware many shortenings hide behind the "per serving" label, as in "zero grams trans fats per serving". Shortening can be up to 4% trans fat (for which there is no safe level). This is also the same stuff many bakeries use to frost cakes they call "buttercream". I'll reserve further comment…