FOR LOW-AND-SLOW FLAVOR, MINUS THE WAIT. SHOP SMOKING CHIPS »
🔕 🔔

I have a cake recipe that calls for emulsified shortening. Just wondering if there's a substitute for it?

asked by andrea almost 3 years ago
2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Without knowing what the recipe is first thing that comes to mind is butter which is also emulsified. I use vegetable or olive oil all the time in cakes but not sure what type of cake this is so don't know if it's an appropriate substitution.

Does "emulsified shortening" mean a product like Crisco?

Hi-ratio, or emulsified, shortening can carry greater amounts of sugar and water than conventional shortening, such as Crisco. Sweetex is the most common brand of hi-ratio shortening, but I honestly don't know where you can find it outside a commercial bakery, as it is packed in massive buckets. It's used in commercially-produced cakes and icings (think Costco icing) because it lends moisture and shelf life to the former and stability at room temp to the latter. Also, it's cheap.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

There are Internet-based baking supply companies that break down 50-pound blocks so they can sell consumer-size quantities. However… Be aware many shortenings hide behind the "per serving" label, as in "zero grams trans fats per serving". Shortening can be up to 4% trans fat (for which there is no safe level). This is also the same stuff many bakeries use to frost cakes they call "buttercream". I'll reserve further comment…