🔎

Any tips for getting out blackberry stains?

They're on light linen and so far dish soap, bar soap, and the boiling water trick haven't worked. (The incident happened yesterday, so they're already fairly set.) Thanks in advance!

Miglore
Trena added 10 months ago

Time is definitely of the essence with stains, but there's still hope. Try making a paste out of equal parts borax, washing soda, and grated fels naptha. Apply the paste to the stained fabric and leave it for about 15 minutes then rinse in cold water. Good luck to you!

Pouring on undiluted hydrogen peroxide may help you as well.

Flower-bee
Droplet added 10 months ago

Lemon juice. Let it sit longer.

Pegeen added 10 months ago

marthastewart.com - search on stain removal. Some very good tips.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added 10 months ago

Since it's a light colored fabric, you could try laying the fabric outdoors in bright sunlight. It should bleach out the stains pretty quickly.

021
krusher added 10 months ago

My grandmother always said that a few fruit and vegetable dyes that don't react to white vinegar and sunshine are apple, pear, berries, potato and avocado etc These fruit and vegetables need to be removed by wiping the mark with glycerine and then leaving for 20-30 minutes before wiping with a cloth wrung out tightly in white vinegar.

021
krusher added 10 months ago

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Voted the Best Answer!

I swear by oxyclean. whatchya making? ;)

Gator_cake

I'm with Mrs. Larkin -- soaking in oxiclean works for most organic stains.

Bigpan
bigpan added 10 months ago

I recently got butter sauce on my new linen suit. The dry cleaner fixed it better than me experimenting with home remedies that may have set the stain forever. Spend the few dollars on a professional.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 10 months ago

We use something called D-Solv-It (at least I think that's how it's spelled). It's supposed to be all-natural, although I have no idea if that means anything. It smells rather violently of citrus oil, but it works amazingly well. Beets, berries, wine, even iodine that spilled all over my clothes in a suitcase.

Sausage2

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

The boiling water trick didn't work? Oh dear. I don't know much about stain removal at all, but the one thing I have used to effectively remove all sorts of stains that I never thought would come out (including old ones) is Fels Naptha soap. You rub it directly on the stain, let it sit for a while and then wash as you normally would. I don't know why it works miracles, but it does. I haven't tried it with berry stains though, only grease stains. But, if the other suggestions don't work, it could be worth a try.

Baci1
HalfPint added 10 months ago

I would try cream of tartar. Make a paste with water and rub onto the stain. Then rinse off.

I would also try 70% rubbing alcohol or some acetone. Soak the stain & blot out with towel. Then just leave the linen out to dry so the solvents can evaporate.

Baci1
HalfPint added 10 months ago

Sorry forgot, with the cream of tartar. Let it sit with the paste for about 15 mins, check to see if the stain is lightening. Leave on longer if it needs it.

ATG117 added 10 months ago

second the oxy clean and when that fails, I'll turn to the dry cleaner?

dymnyno added 10 months ago

I think that one of those products that removes red wine stains should work, like "Wine Away". We use an industrial version of Oxyclean in the winery.

Scan0004
susan g added 10 months ago

When I worked at an inn called Blueberry Hill Farm, guests would invariably spill some of the wonderful blueberry dessert on their clothes. The owner would send them into the (tiny) bathroom to hand her the clothing item. She would take a tea kettle of boiling water, hold it as high as possible, and pour the water on the stain. It must have worked, since we didn't hear complaints afterwards. Of course, this was for fresh stains, not ones that had set. Remember for future disasters!

lloreen added 10 months ago

Oxy clean takes out blood and red wine, even when set for a few days, so it might be your best hope. I use the spray bottle - sure lemon juice is better in an Eco sense, but I wouldn't mess around with a serious stain.