🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Scotch Eggs

Scotcheggs2

I have a question about the recipe "Scotch Eggs" from lorigoldsby. What kind of sausage is best for scotch eggs?

asked over 1 year ago

I have used country style pork sausage with good results. Or, you can just use ground pork and add your own seasonings and herbs.

Baci1

Any seasoning combo you recommend?

I agree with dymnyno. If you can grind pork from a single piece or pieces you can season it with salt, pepper, fresh chopped sage to your own taste. I might be inclined to add pimenton to it but that would sort of take the "scotch" out of it.

Baci1

Good call on the pimenton. I just happened to have purchased a small (which I now regret because I should have gotten the larger size) container of Espelette.

I use just mild breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean). But I also don't deep fry them and use convection bake to cook them--the brown up just fine in the oven because they're pretty oily when cooking.

Baci1

Good to know. I will probably bake them since I hate the mess of deep frying. You used regular breadcrumbs?

I've used just normal seasoned breadcrumbs and Panko before. But frankly they're so rich I've even skipped the breadcrumbs and they convection bake just fine.
It also helps to roll out the sausage between wax paper so you can get a thin coat on the eggs.