What to do with leftover corn husks and silks?

What can I do with corn husks and silks, aside from throwing them away?

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

asked about 1 year ago

My hippie neighbors would compost the silks. But you can dry the husks and use them for tamales.

Stringio

I till in the stalks and compost the husks. This year's compost is next years corn.

Stringio

I till in the stalks and compost the husks. This year's compost is next year's corn.

Stringio

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I don't use the silk, but the husks make fantastic stock. Wash the outer husks thoroughly, put into a huge pot, cover with cold water, bring to a low boil and cook for no more than 45 minutes. Remove them immediately, squeezing on the husks. Feel free to add corn cobs from which you've cut the kernels (where the corn has only been in contact with plain or salted water). They'll make the stock a bit milkier, so keep that in mind. I usually toss in a few parsley stems and the green tops of scallions when I make this stock, but they're optional. Use the corn stock for cooking quinoa and black beans. You'll love it. Of course, it's also fantastic for corn or fish chowders. ;o) P.S. You can also dry the husks to make corn husk angels! My sister Sally made and gave some to me when she was a teenager; they have since been my favorite Christmas decoration.