🔔
🔎

Help! Can I freeze Ratatouille? I have so much and just can't eat it all right now.

asked by Adianne about 1 year ago
Me_in_munich_with_fish

Go for it! The only way to know is to try it. And, worst case scenario, when you thaw it the texture might not be as good.

Yes, do it. This past weekend in the Incredible Shrinking LA Times food section Thomas Keller did a "Master Class" piece on ratatouille and one of his suggstions was to turn it into a soup---you just puree it in a blender. I'm sure it's available on-line but you might have to be subscriber to access it.

Junechamp

Now, pierino, that's a great idea. I was about to say that technically you CAN freeze ratatouille, but I did it one time and it was unbearably mushy when it came out. However, if I'd thought of pureeing it into a soup, I might not have been so disappointed.

Image

Yes, it freezes pretty well. Zuccini and Eggplant, however, tend to absorb moisture and can wind up "soggy".
Why not make a veggie lasagne of it. That fixes the potential problem by 1) dry heat (oven) after thawing and 2) the lasagne pasta also absorbs moisture.

Thank you. All great suggestions!

Junechamp

Adianne, fwiw, ratatouille is my favorite summer food. In my book I include a recipe for a ratatouille terrine and also for sausage sandwiches with ratatouille (in lieu of peppers and onions. Those are some ideas you might also like to try.