🔎

• 19

• 2464

What is a good blender that can blend hot veggies into soup without spraying it all over the kitchen?

Tx2cagirl
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

I really like my Kitchen Aid blender. The way I avoid the "spray" of soup is 2-fold. 1) only fill it up 1/2 halfway. Then start the blending on "stir," and the gradually move up to puree

Sadie_crop
Diana B added 8 months ago

I think I would prefer an immersion blender for this purpose.

Photo
SMSF added 8 months ago

In my experience, doing what Monita describes above works like a charm, and for any brand of blender I've used, by the way. While blending, I've found it also helps to hold the blender cover on with a dishtowel.

Baci1
HalfPint added 8 months ago

I would go one step further and remove the filler cap. Cover the opening with a clean towel (dark colored preferable) and blend slowly working up to a higher speed.

Sam1148 added 8 months ago

We have a Oster® In2itive...it's claim to fame is that it has a slow start motor; so on certain program functions it starts rather slow then it ramps up to full speed occasionally reversing and stopping as the program dictates. It works fine for soups even filled...as it starts slow and then gets serious.

It was met with mixed reviews for quality; however ours has lasted years but it's very low use. I use a stick blender for soups.

Yes, only fill your blender half way with hot liquid or you will end up Jackson Pollacking your audience like Emeril once did.
The VitaMix is expensive but worth it. The wattage is high enough that you can actually "cook" soup in it.

Sadie_crop
Diana B added 8 months ago

VitaMix is the gold standard, of course, but if you want to do this in a blender and not pay quite so much, I'd recommend the Breville Hemisphere.

Waffle3
ChefOno added 8 months ago

I'm in the immersion blender camp for many reasons -- they're quick, handle any amount in whatever pot you're cooking in, and cleanup is a snap (easiest for models with dishwasher-safe, detachable shafts like the models from KitchenAid).

Maedl added 8 months ago

Another vote for an immersion blender. You are working against scientific principle when you use a traditional blender to puree anything hot--the pressure from the steam makes it far too easy to pop the lid and replicate Old Faithful. A good immersion blender purees beautifully and keeps clean up to a minimum, as long as you remember not to bring the immersion blender above the surface of the food while running. Then you run into another scientific principle--centrifugal force.

Chris_in_oslo

Timely answers for me, as I am in the market for a new immersion blender. Any one have an outstanding favorite?

Viking makes a pretty high powered one. I don't use it that often but when I do...

Maedl added 8 months ago

I have a Braun--it is quite elderly, but still works perfectly. I don’t know if they are still as well made.

jsdunbar added 8 months ago

Bamix- will go for years & years

Waffle3
ChefOno added 8 months ago

Chris: Models change so be sure to check for features that are important to you. For me, a detachable shaft is a must-have as well as proper shaft seals to keep food particles from entering the mechanism and becoming trapped. Those two features alone steered me to my current KitchenAid.

Maedl added 8 months ago

ChefOno makes a good point. See https://bay171.mail.live...

Sadie_crop
Diana B added 8 months ago

Maedl, that link is to a Microsoft login

Pam p added 8 months ago

I have the Cuisinart Immersion stick blender. It is a total workhorse. I use it everyday for hot (soupy stuff) and cold (smoothies, juices). It is a great investment!

Maedl added 8 months ago

Oops, sorry. Here is the link from Consumer Reports:
http://www.consumerreports...

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added 8 months ago

I, too, have a Braun that I love. Sadly, Braun no longer markets their kitchen products in the U.S.