What is a good blender that can blend hot veggies into soup without spraying it all over the kitchen?

asked by @tx2cagirl about 1 year ago
Monita_photo

I really like my Kitchen Aid blender. The way I avoid the "spray" of soup is 2-fold. 1) only fill it up 1/2 halfway. Then start the blending on "stir," and the gradually move up to puree

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I think I would prefer an immersion blender for this purpose.

Photo

In my experience, doing what Monita describes above works like a charm, and for any brand of blender I've used, by the way. While blending, I've found it also helps to hold the blender cover on with a dishtowel.

Baci1

I would go one step further and remove the filler cap. Cover the opening with a clean towel (dark colored preferable) and blend slowly working up to a higher speed.

We have a Oster® In2itive...it's claim to fame is that it has a slow start motor; so on certain program functions it starts rather slow then it ramps up to full speed occasionally reversing and stopping as the program dictates. It works fine for soups even filled...as it starts slow and then gets serious.

It was met with mixed reviews for quality; however ours has lasted years but it's very low use. I use a stick blender for soups.

Yes, only fill your blender half way with hot liquid or you will end up Jackson Pollacking your audience like Emeril once did.
The VitaMix is expensive but worth it. The wattage is high enough that you can actually "cook" soup in it.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

VitaMix is the gold standard, of course, but if you want to do this in a blender and not pay quite so much, I'd recommend the Breville Hemisphere.

Waffle3

I'm in the immersion blender camp for many reasons -- they're quick, handle any amount in whatever pot you're cooking in, and cleanup is a snap (easiest for models with dishwasher-safe, detachable shafts like the models from KitchenAid).

Another vote for an immersion blender. You are working against scientific principle when you use a traditional blender to puree anything hot--the pressure from the steam makes it far too easy to pop the lid and replicate Old Faithful. A good immersion blender purees beautifully and keeps clean up to a minimum, as long as you remember not to bring the immersion blender above the surface of the food while running. Then you run into another scientific principle--centrifugal force.

Chris_in_oslo

Timely answers for me, as I am in the market for a new immersion blender. Any one have an outstanding favorite?

Viking makes a pretty high powered one. I don't use it that often but when I do...

I have a Braun--it is quite elderly, but still works perfectly. I don’t know if they are still as well made.

Bamix- will go for years & years

Waffle3

Chris: Models change so be sure to check for features that are important to you. For me, a detachable shaft is a must-have as well as proper shaft seals to keep food particles from entering the mechanism and becoming trapped. Those two features alone steered me to my current KitchenAid.

ChefOno makes a good point. See https://bay171.mail.live...

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Maedl, that link is to a Microsoft login

I have the Cuisinart Immersion stick blender. It is a total workhorse. I use it everyday for hot (soupy stuff) and cold (smoothies, juices). It is a great investment!

Oops, sorry. Here is the link from Consumer Reports:
http://www.consumerreports...

Dsc_0028

I, too, have a Braun that I love. Sadly, Braun no longer markets their kitchen products in the U.S.