🔎

use of trivet in bottom of canner

I found a small canner and have a silicone trivet that fits in the bottom, but it's solid--no cut-outs. Will this work OK or do I need one w/cut-outs to ensure even heating and water circulation? - thanks

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

I would use one with cut outs to allow the water to evenly boil

Sadie_crop
Diana B added 8 months ago

A traditional canning rack that fits your pot would be even better because it allows water to circulate all around your jars, which is important to ensure all organisms are killed and that you get a good vacuum seal. No trivet can equal the performance of a proper canning rack.

P1291120
SeaJambon added 8 months ago

I agree totally with Diana, but in a pinch if you need a trivet (very important -- you don't want the jars resting right on the bottom of the pan as it increases the likelihood they will shatter) you can take the rings from canning lids and tie them together to make a trivet.

smslaw added 8 months ago

I think you really need a proper rack to hold the jars, lest they bounce around and possibly break in the boiling water bath.