🔔
🔎

Icy Ice Cream

I'm making Smitten Kitchen's Hot Fudge Sundae Cake (http://smittenkitchen.com...) for my daughter's birthday party, and am using Jeni's recipes for the chocolate and vanilla ice creams. I was impatient last night, and didn't fully cool the ice cream before churning it, thus melting the core of the bowl, and leaving me to resort to David Lebovitz's method of stirring it frequently in a baking dish in the freezer. Unfortunately it was late, I didn't stir it all that many times, and now it's icy. Do I A) Melt and re-churn it? B) Make a whole new batch or C) Assume no one else will be as concerned with the ice cream texture as I am, and just use it in the cake?

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked about 1 year ago
Baci1

If you have time, melt it down and re-churn if it's a Philadelphia-style ice cream (i.e. no eggs). I would worry about flavor degradation, but it's only been 24 hours, so you should be ok.

Image

If time is really running out there is always Ben and Jerry's!

Pict1821

Melting and re-churning worked perfectly. Many thanks!