THE SMARTER, SUPER STURDY ICE TRAYS YOU'RE LOVING. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

I bought a bottle of fairly nice Madeira to use in the recipe for gravy posted by thirschfeld (which was excellent, by the way). Now I have a bottle of Madeira, minus one cup, so I'm interested in other ways to use it in cooking. Any ideas? Thank you. ;o)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Madeira can often be used in place of marsala or port or maybe sherry, too. The flavor will of course be a bit different, but will still work - chicken/veal marsala/madeira, in a zabaglione, etc. Last New Year's we were planning to do a port wine reduction with mushrooms, to serve with a beef filet - only no port to be found - oops; we did have find some madeira lurking in the pantry and it worked fine.

51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

I'm just kind of trance-lining here, which happens when an ingredient is thrust upon me. Per amysarah's comment, just about anything mushroom or veal. I'm definitely thinking sweetbreads as in ris de veau. Maybe sea scallops...

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

One of the best sauces I ever had for a steak was the iron skillet (my vehicle of choice for cooking a steak indoors) deglazed with Madeira, to which a little thyme and a bit of honey was added and the sauce reduced. The steak had been heavily coated with cracked pepper prior to cooking, so that element was in there as well. Marvelous!

A0347c63 c523 4ca1 a7dd 56c1cbcc1b4e  15926303617 31b409bb45 q

I'm thinking pan sauce all the way. It would also be lovely with mushrooms, cooked down and used to top crostini. Great recommendations from everyone else - now I'm hungry :)