Please help me find a name for my food journal/magazine

I'm keen on starting a quarterly online/print food & drink journal in the coming year. The principal focus is on creating an awareness of Nigeria food (pantry, spices, seasonal fruits), history and culture, and its similarities with global cuisines.

I need a name. The one name I've thought of which isn't 'taken' is Cook Naija (Naija being a 'short' for Nigeria). I think it may be limiting.

All the others I've thought of have been taken - Feast, Eat, The Melting Point, ...

I need your help. And suggestions. Thank you

asked by Kitchen Butterfly 11 months ago

How about NigerianFoodanddrink.com? Describes what you are going to do

Ozoz_profile

Thanks Miss Jane. I love the idea of the title communicating exactly what I am aiming for. I'll let you know once I've decided on a name!

Ozoz_profile

Baci1

How about Naija Food Journey?

Ozoz_profile

HalfPint, superb. Because that's what I'm embarking on. I'll let you know once I've decided on a name!Appreciate it

As far as the print part (as opposed to on-line, which you can do yourself) you might want to get in touch with a university press. Look for one close to you that you think you might be able to work with. The major universities do some stunning things.

Ozoz_profile

Thanks Pierino, I will certainly look for university presses close by. I'll let you know once I've decided on a name as well!

Image

Lagos Legumes ... And other Nigerian Treats

Ozoz_profile

:-) Love this. Lagos gets so much press, I think the rest of the country would be vexed with me. But I do like it. I'll let you know once I've decided on a name and I think some of these titles would be fantastic as column themes! Thank you

Dsc_0048b

How exciting KB. I'm not coming up with any great names for you, but wish you the best.

Ozoz_profile

Thank you for your kind wishes healthierkitchen. It made me feel good!

A Nigerian Table: Seasonal Foods and Celebrational Meals

Ozoz_profile

I love it Maedl. I'll let you know once I've decided on a name. I really appreciate all the help!

036

Edible Nigeria ?? There are magazines here in the states that come out quarterly in various cities, so Edible Austin, Edible Peoria, whatever ...

Ozoz_profile

I thought of edible Nigeria as I'd seen Edible Manhattan (I think) last year when I visited NY. It is a great ideas still for a column in the Magazine too so....I'll let you know once I've decided on a name. Thanks

The Edible magazines are part of a network and there are considerable costs involvedin becoming a publisher. See http://www.ediblecommunities...

Photo_squirrel

I very much like Maedi's-- niger table ....
i would not use 'naija'unless you are targeting a nigerian audience, or unless you explained it in the title, i.e.
The Naija Table: Nigeria's Place in Global Cuisine
(Hmmm sound a bit dissertation-like, eh?!!)

Ozoz_profile

Thanks Le Bec Fin. I want to share Nigerian cuisine, with Nigerians but not alienate other streams of interested readers. So I do appreciate your help. I'll let you know once I've decided on a name!

Photo_squirrel

Celebrating the Nigerian Table
or
!:Celebrating the Nigerian Table
Is there some fun Nigerian word that means Celebrate or Celebration- that could start off the above title?

Photo_squirrel

I meant this to read: "___________! Celebrating the Nigerian Table" That's a riff on Maedi's more book title-sounding name. But I think she's got a great idea- to use 'table' and 'celebrate.'

Ozoz_profile

I quite agree - celebrate and table convey the sense of what I want exactly!

Ozoz_profile

Celebrate is the best word to use in Nigeria. The other words I could have used are really 'slang'. It conveys the exact sense of what I want to accomplish. Thank you so much

Well being a jazz lover I would look at "Airegin" or Nigeria spelled backwards. The famous Sonny Rollins standard from 1954. Something like "Airegin - traditional Foods of Nigeria."

Ozoz_profile

OMG. jmburns - what genius. I love the reverse name. And I've just updated my knowledge bank on Sonny Rollins. Appreciate it. Will let you know what name I decide on.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

The Naijai Chronicles: Exploring the Nigeria food, history and culture, and its similarities with global cuisines.

Ozoz_profile

Thanks sexyLambCHOPx. I love the title. Chronicles.....now I'm thinking a whole feature of how Nigerian cuisine has evolved to what it is today. I appreciate it and will let you know what I decide

Ozoz_profile

Thanks everyone, I intend to land on the name in a couple of weeks. Promise to report back, ok? I feel so much more ready...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scan0004

...and be sure to (at least) update your profile with the URL so we can follow what you do. No suggestions from me -- we know how creative you are!

Ozoz_profile

Promise to do so susan. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I must admit having not visited Nigeria and it not being too high on my bucket list I would hesitate to click on and read a blog that said Celebrate Nigeria or The Nigerian table. I would need something more clever to attract my attention. The only food I remember having from an original Nigerian recipe was many years ago and they were coconut balls called Shuku Shuku. For whatever reason the name stuck in my memory. This is just off the top of my head but if your blog said something like: (Crocodile Feet and Shuku Shuku...The sights and smells of a Nigerian Kitchen) I would be far more drawn to it. I would be thinking do they have Crocodile in Nigeria? Can you cook their feet? (Pig's feet sure can be delicious if prepared well) What is Shuku Shuku?...such an unusual name. I've never been known to think like the majority (to be "normal") so feel free to give my suggestion little weight but at least another idea.

David, not being "normal" is a good thing. That's why we like you. Live outside that Dali drawn perimeter.

Ozoz_profile

David - thanks. I appreciate your comment of great weight. Period. And you tickled me pink, from start to finish. Chukuchuku, the snack (tch, as in choo, not sh as in shoo) is named a variety of long-stemmed grass which leaves bristly bits in your clothes if they 'kiss' it. Bristly, uncomfortable and irritating, as you have to pull it out bit by bit. Many childhood memories. The exterior of the coconut balls are seen to resemble the prickly grass! I am thrilled that you are familiar with Nigerian cuisine, especially non-mainstream stuff! I love The Nigerian Table for what it conveys and who it speaks to - Nigerians. I am now leaning heavily towards a print publication (I'm currently on an independent magazine publishing workshop)..... I'll keep you posted. Take care

TY Pierino

Scan0004

I happened on videos on youtube showing Nigerian recipes. There's a website, www.allnigerianrecipes... and 122 videos! I will spend some time with them, and other sources that showed up. I assume this means that people are out there waiting and looking for your unnamed work, and a good name would be one that picks up their searches.

Ozoz_profile

Thanks Susan - you make a great point. Searchability.....I'm almost there I think on the name. Just a few more sessions of brainstorming and I should land it! Appreciate the support

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Best of luck Kitchen Butterfly. I'm sure whatever you do will be very well received.

I'll look forward to reading your blog. I have no doubt of your success. You're genuine, determined and have great communication skills.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet