FREE Standard Shipping Through Monday. Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

I'm a convert to baking by weight not volume. Am I alone in thinking N.A. Is a little late to the game? Is there any advantage at all to using volume?

asked by fionula about 1 year ago

I also weigh ingredients when I bake. I've had a couple of baking failures when I weighed dry ingredients, but the recipe author clearly used volume measurements when developing the recipe.

Isn't it the problem that cups can be quite different depending on how the author measures? So I never know which cup of flour it is unless I read the whole preface or know the author.

P1291120

I use both methods, depending on what the recipe requires. While I agree that weighing is generally more accurate and consistent, I have a large bookcase full of cookbooks that use volume measures and I love and cherish way too many recipes in them to toss, and it is way too time consuming to make the conversions myself. Standard baking for dry measures has you fill the cup and then scrape off the top using the back of a knife. Pretty consistent. The only exception is with brown sugar, which must be packed into the cup (not loosely measured). Wet ingredients measure easily.

I switched to weighing ingredients years ago. It is more accurate, so results are more consistent. I also find it easier to measure using a scale rather than by trying to use cup measures. It doesn't mean tossing out old cookbooks--you just learn what the weight equivalents are and carry on.

I realize that scoop and level is very common, but it is newer/ different than the method I grew up with. (significantly) So all my family recipes would come out differently in your kitchen.

Weight equivalents are available on King Arthur Flour's site. A short list on the back of my kitchen cupboard door keeps me sane. I still would like to know the author's weights. I realize that on a site like this you get what the 'chef' decides, but in general I think cookbooks need to move on. (some have)

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Here's the weight conversion chart fionula mentions: http://www.kingarthurflour...

thanks. I should have thought to do that.

P1291120

Gotta say - that's a pretty cool list! Hadn't seen it before and really like it; thanks for sharing. BTW: anyone know what "cake enhancer" is? I suspect I could use some... ;)

I was thrilled to see the article by Alice Medrich about weighing ingredients for baking. Is it too.

Is it too much to hope for that this site will include weights, at least in the baking recipes? I am ever hopeful even tho I recognize there are difficulties

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

A lot of us are ever hopeful, too, fionula!